Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2018 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

....sigh....
Back to Top profile | search

Darin Henry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2018 at 9:27pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

So the pendulum is swinging back to servicing veteran fans. That should at least slow the rapid decline in readership/sales. Unfortunately, publishers continue to cling to the antiquated format ($4 for 1/6th of a story) that makes every other form of entertainment seem like a better deal than comics.  And they stick to the same non-returnable distribution system that leaves zero incentive for publishers to advertise comics to non-fans. And why should they?  Everything they publish has technically been purchased by retailers the second it’s been printed. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2018 at 10:32pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

A real new start would be all new characters, but then New Universe didn't really last.

Ever since the non-returnable direct sales system began #1s have proliferated. Then it was variant cover #1s (and #2s), limited editions, holofoil etc. etc. all of interest only to 'collectors' (and I'm a confirmed mere accumulator mainly interested in reading). In Japan the first issue of each year will have a big #1 on it, they could've just gone with that. Weeklies run #1-52 and monthlies #1-12, usually the total number appears in tiny print someplace, so you might actually have #21284 of Shonen Jump Weekly... and then they collect them into individual little paperbacks that start with Volume 1 (only these often stay in print like trade paperbacks here). One more positive with the phone book sized weeklies and monthlies is they make cheap futons for students bundled together and then at semester's end they take them to the curb for recycling.

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2018 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I hope it works

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2018 at 1:22am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I can't believe they are doing another reset and trying to talk it up like it'll be great.

Why don' they just publish every freaking issue as a #1? According to that methodology, that'll make every freaking issue more valuable.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2018 at 3:30am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I think the "Hail Hydra" thing hurt them more than they are admitting.  When that happened, I cancelled my CAP subscription--and all my other Marvel subscriptions too!  Since then, I've been getting email offers for 25% off new subscriptions--then 30%, then 35%, now 40%!

It may not have been that one particular story line that reduced sales across the board, but it was indicative of how blind and deaf Marvel has been to their fans, and it might have just been the final straw for a lot of fans, the line in the sand.

So, now with this "new start," they might be trying to send the message that they're sorry for kicking us in the teeth over and over, but like Joe Zhang says above--with the same creatives and editorial in charge, there's no reason the readers should expect any real change.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 21 February 2018 at 3:31am

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2018 at 4:02am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Regarding "Hail Hydra" and "Secret Empire", and the negative backlash, it got me thinking about decompression, a phenomena that we've complained about often.

Decades ago, something like "Secret Empire" would have been done and dusted within a matter of months, e.g. if it had been published in 1980, it would have been in the Jan-Apr issues. The editor would have dealt with the backlash a few months after that, and then by year's end, it may well have been forgotten about. An editor may have apologised if there'd been a negative backlash, but we'd have moved on.

"Secret Empire" ran for ten issues, plus countless tie-in stories. And there was "Hail Hydra" prior to that. That was a long time to receive such a negative backlash. 

It's not just about the Cap/Hydra thing. When you have stories that run for too long, so they can be made into trades, this sort of thing will happen. I remember a Batman story where he fought Captain Boomerang (70s). It didn't seem to be well-received and I remember the editor responding to that and semi-apologising for it (to be fair, I liked the story). As it was a one-off story, folk would have forgotten about it.

Today, it could well be a six-issue arc (with lots of tie-ins), and such long stories now, if not well received, are bound to result in fewer sales and the like.

I wish the industry would consider its position on decompression. 

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2018 at 4:35am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

They should relaunch every series every month instead of relaunching them every year.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2018 at 6:02am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

That might be the preferable option, David. 

Sergio Saavedra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2018 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Anyway, the Marvel Universe was lately unrecognisable. So, if we are having the iconic characters back, at least that is a good thing.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2018 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

They should re-launch their editorial department.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2018 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Reading the article, I see this comment: "...The promotional artwork... features characters with high media profiles outside of comics" and then lists a large number of the Netflix and movie characters.

Funny that I didn't see S.H.I.E.L.D. or X-Men on that list... their TV presence seems pretty high profile. But in any case, it indicates what a lot of people feared... that the movies are now driving the comics. Which means that the Fantastic Four - Marvel's original comic book team and their second smash hit - is still getting screwed.

Certainly to be considered is that a "Fresh Start" is immediately preceded by a "Stale End"... which too many readers will likely see as a great jumping off point.

There's another huge problem with the reboots, restarts, etc. When changes happen within a series, readers may continue to buy a book due to purchasing inertia... "I've been buying Iron Man this long... I'll keep up with it."

But when they present a situation where they end a series to start a new one - yet another #1 - it's a sign that indicates, "This storyline and character are done", and a reader can then infer, "Ah, good. It's done. Now that I look at it, I don't know why I paid four bucks an issue for the past two years... but I don't have to any more. No more story to keep up with!"

This isn't a binary, zero-sum game. Publishing isn't about "I'll lose this many readers but I'll gain this many readers... so it's worth the change." There has to be a way to keep existing readers AND attract new readers. It doesn't seem that DC or Marvel have given that a lot of consideration... but again, I haven't read many of their books recently. Maybe they've finally got the message. Maybe.

Edited by Eric Sofer on 21 February 2018 at 7:45am

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |