Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Sports Talk
Topic: Old European Football Tournaments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2018 at 4:56pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

This will mean something to you if you follow football.

Firstly, I think European Cup sounded much better than UEFA Champions League. It rolled off the tongue naturally. It was great, years ago, to be able to discuss the "European Cup" with other fans. UEFA Champions League sounds very corporate.

Secondly. I miss the European Cup Winners' Cup. Not only did I like the tournament itself, but I thought that sounded cool, too. It was abolished in 1999. Before its demise, it became known as the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup.

So, I preferred the names of the older tournaments, and I miss the European Cup Winners' Cup.

Anyone have a view?
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2018 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I also preferred the European Cup for a number of reasons. First, it was purely a knockout contest. Second, it was only for the champions of each league. This meant fewer, more-important matches. Third, the name was indeed better. Fourth, it seemed to be less money-driven and more about national pride. The Champion's League is a format designed to maximise both TV revenue and the chances of the big-name teams.

The newer format allowed Liverpool to win the cup in 2005 after having only finished 4th in the Premier League the season before (and 5th in the season they won the Champions League; hardly the best team in Europe).

I remember the Cup Winners Cup fondly, but that may be nostalgia more than anything else. That said, I don't think folding it into the UEFA cup has done anyone any favours.

The result of expanding both the European Cup and the UEFA cup is that generally teams aren't too happy about having to deal with the drudgery of playing in the UEFA cup.

Back in the day, it was a real honour to play in any European competition, but it's not really the case anymore.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2018 at 3:34am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I realise nostalgia could be playing a part in my initial post, but you have articulated a lot of what my brain was trying to put forward.

I did ask a few football fans recently (in real life) and quite a few said that they preferred the old names/format - and did fondly remember the European Cup Winners' Cup.

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2018 at 4:30am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I liked the old system where the winners of each domestic league (and previous winners of the European Cup) played the competition. Now up to 7 teams from various leagues can enter the competition. I fail to see where the 'Champions' in the Champions League are. Winning the UEAFA cup actual meant something unlike now where most of the top teams don't want to be in it unless it means getting into the Champions League. The Cup Winners Cup was a nice competition to enter but was never so prestigious.

I miss the old format but because of the money involved it'll never ever go back to the old way it was.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2018 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I agree, Trevor. Also, as I said to Peter, the European Cup and the European Cup Winners' Cup just sounded better. Champions League is rather generic for me.

And the make-up of the tournament, well...

Whatever happened to the World Club Championship? Been years since I've heard about that (off to Google I go).

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |