Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Dr. Who
Topic: New Blu-Ray Release Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2018 at 9:44pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

BBC is starting the process of releasing classic Who remastered on Blu-Ray with new special features a season at a time.  The project seems very similar to what was done with TNG several years back.  It seems to be a very nice presentation, and much more affordable than the TNG releases.  I'm interested.

Here's the UK pre-order listing on Amazon for the first season released, Season 12, which was Tom Baker's first.

LINK 
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 5:19am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Hmmm, I have a Blu-ray player, but even with new features, I don't think I am ready to give my money to the BBC all over again. I'll pass. ;-)

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 7:38am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Seems a bit odd because so much of classic Who was shot on video tape. Pertwee's Spearhead From Space was the only story to be entirely shot on film. Difficult to see what improvement in quality you'll get from blu-ray.

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member

Evertonian

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Peter Crocker of the Restoration Team has worked on the upscale to HD. Fellow RT member Steve Roberts has said these should be as close to the studio masters as it's possible to get. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I've been waffling back and forth on starting to collect the DVD's.  I don't know about in the UK, but here there are availability problems with stories going in and out of print.  When you add up what a season costs on DVD, purchased a story at a time here, its also pretty prohibitive.

So, these Blu-Ray seasons, even if there isn't a massive difference in picture quality (I guess they're remixing the sound), with all the bonus features, seems like a pretty good deal to me.  If I had already shelled out a lot of money on the individual DVD's, I would probably also feel differently. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I rarely upgrade to Blu-ray.

I mean, TV shows like THE INCREDIBLE HULK and MAGNUM, P.I. are on Blu-ray now. But there aren't any extra features. And the visual quality will not be that different. So I don't bother.

You have to reach a point where you stop doing it. I bought DR. WHO on VHS back in the day (90s). And then again on DVD. Unless a Blu-ray purchase can give me a voucher to have lunch with Tom Baker in London's West End, then nothing can compel me to pay for it all over again.

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2018 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The new hour long interview with Baker would be why I'd pick that up, Baker is my favorite and anything new from him Who-wise is nice to see(especially the recent BluRay release of Shada).
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |