Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies
Topic: Sopranos Prequel Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2018 at 5:12am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Chase is on board for a prequel to be set in the 60s:

LINK

I'll definitely be seeing it - what about you guys?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2018 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Considering the way Chase ended the series -- this prequel better have an amazing trailer to lure me back in!

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 09 March 2018 at 5:17pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

...the way Chase ended the series...

The only episode I watched was the last, with a group of friends. There were quite a lot of different reactions to the ending, not all good. Some downright angry.

But I thought it was brilliant. If we read it as Tony Soprano getting whacked, then of course it all ends at exactly that moment.

As to a new series? Same names, different faces? I care not.

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2018 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Trevor, one correction: it's pronounced "youse guys." ;)

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2018 at 12:30am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

No interest whatsover. 

Personally, I took the meaning of the ending of THE SOPRANOS to be that it was up to each viewer to imagine what happened to Tony. But I still thought it was a crappy way to end the show.

(Obviously, with James Gandolfini's death, there's no real way to do a sequel without Tony having been whacked. Him being alive but in hiding/witness protection or having died a different way would be a major cop-out.)

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2018 at 1:32am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The Sopranos was my favourite TV series and I'm not much
of an organized crime fan. It will probably always be my
second favourite series no matter what comes along to be
my #1 (cough... Game of Thrones... cough)

That said, the actors made the series for me, I have no
interest in a prequel series. (or a sequel series
either)

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2018 at 4:33am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

"Trevor, one correction: it's pronounced "youse guys."
;)"

Hah, thanks for the reminder!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2018 at 5:55am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"Personally, I took the meaning of the ending of THE SOPRANOS to be that it was up to each viewer to imagine what happened to Tony."

That's how I interpreted it. Ever the optimist, I saw the family finally getting together for a nice meal, ominous shots of the other patrons notwithstanding.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2018 at 7:11am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Look at this:

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 10 March 2018 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Personally, I took the meaning of the ending of THE SOPRANOS to be that it was up to each viewer to imagine what happened to Tony.

Now, THAT would be a cop-out!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2018 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I can't find a link - it may have been a US newspaper interview - but I seem to recall David Chase saying something like, "It's all there for those who look." So, with respect, guys, I don't agree it's down to individual interpretations.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2018 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

My main problem* with the finale is that if we are to assume that Tony died at that moment, we have no idea who would have been behind it, as all of his known antagonists had been eliminated by the end of the episode. Chase had said that it's all there, but he neglected to add that one important piece.

*Plus, I felt cheated that I didn't get to see Carmella and the kids finally see the consequences of their acceptance of their mob family life. But that one is more of a personal thing.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 10 March 2018 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

My main problem* with the finale is that if we are to assume that Tony died at that moment, we have no idea who would have been behind it, as all of his known antagonists had been eliminated by the end of the episode. Chase had said that it's all there, but he neglected to add that one important piece.

A guy like Tony Soprano is not likely to have neat and tidy packages of enemies who can all be eliminated. I'm assuming Tony got whacked by that guy who was stooging around in the men's room. He could have been anybody, with any kind of grudge.

I also noted that there was a clip in the "Previously On" prologue that referred to killing a snake by chopping off its head.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2018 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

The ending for me was more like a theatrical play; where we see the players for the last time and showing them as a family doing family stuff.  The black out was a moment for me to clap as the series came to an end. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2018 at 12:21pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Ive never seen the show. Intrigued by this discussion, I took a look at the finale scene in question, and some of the many analyses of it. I remember the mixed reaction when the finale aired, and the past decade has clearly provided many different interpretations and discussions as to its meaning. Which was probably the idea!

In terms of editing rythyms and editing psychology, theres more going on in the scene than just trying to show that Tony is paranoid. Maybe its an attempt to use audience expectations against them, or to symbolize that Tonys life will end violently, and that he wont see it coming. But, in terms of the camera setups and editing, that guy in the jacket is definitely conspicuous without the scene hitting us over the head. But hes not conspicuous to Tony. He takes note of the guy, but clearly dismisses him. The camera and the editing do not. Hes the only person to come through the door in a way which defies the editing pattern that the beginning of the scene establishes (Tony hears the doorbell jingle and looks up, then we get a POV shot of him watching someone enter the diner). The final shots very much give them impression that Tonys daughter is about to walk in on her fathers murder.

I also see that THE SOPRANOS is Free on Demand via my cable provider, so I may have to finally check it out, after I finish rewatching STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION. Maybe, with the proper context, Id have a different opinion about the finale!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2018 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I think it's interesting that we are discussing it years later. And that Mr Chase hasn't given any definitive answers. 

No spoilers for those who haven't seen the series, but the episode "Pine Barrens" throws up an interesting question or two - that some are still discussing nearly 17 years after the episode aired.

John Byrne

Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 10 March 2018 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

We live in an artificial society, the internet. On the internet, nothing ends, nothing dies. A short while back, I commented on a blog that was ragging on my Superman, DECADES later. Ditto Dark Phoenix. In a less "connected" world, such discussions would fade away, some faster than others.

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2018 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

In the same final season, a few episodes
before the end, a character is killed
while dining out with one of Tony's crew,
his second in command, Silvio.

The scene is shot that the victim is
struck dead and Silvio (Tony's guy)
sprayed with blood, before we ever hear
the gunshot and before any of the
characters, realize what is happening.

Silvio later waxes poetic about it,
thinking that's probably how it is when
you are the one being killed, no warning,
no sound, things just go dark.

I took the abrupt finale ending to mean we
the audience got "wacked", not Tony nor
his family. We the audience no longer get
to watch their lives unfold.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2018 at 5:52pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Marc M. Woolman wrote:
I took the abrupt finale ending to mean we the audience got "wacked", not Tony nor his family. We the audience no longer get to watch their lives unfold.

With respect, I disagree. I don't think the abrupt ending was about that. I'd bet money it was not that at all, especially given some of the things David Chase has said.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2018 at 10:39pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

David Simon wrote:
I said to Gandolfini, the bell rings and you look up. That last shot of Tony ends on 'don't stop,' it's mid-song. I'm not going to go into . I thought the possibility would go through a lot of people's minds or maybe everybody's mind that he was killed. He might have gotten shot three years ago in that situation. But he didn't. Whether this is the end here, or not, it's going to come at some point for the rest of us. Hopefully we're not going to get shot by some rival gang mob or anything like that. I'm not saying that [happened]. But obviously he stood more of a chance of getting shot by a rival gang mob than you or I do because he put himself in that situation. All I know is the end is coming for all of us.

I thought the ending would be somewhat jarring, sure. But not to the extent it was, and not a subject of such discussion. I really had no idea about that. I never considered the black a shot. I just thought what we see is black. The ceiling I was going for at that point, the biggest feeling I was going for, honestly, was don't stop believing. It was very simple and much more on the nose than people think. That's what I wanted people to believe. That life ends and death comes, but don't stop believing. There are attachments we make in life, even though it's all going to come to an end, that are worth so much, and we're so lucky to have been able to experience them. Life is short. Either it ends here for Tony or some other time. But in spite of that, it's really worth it. So don't stop believing.

A few months ago I watched a random episode on impulse and ended up re-watching the show; I have just reached Season 6. It is really such a good show.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2018 at 12:49am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Okay, fine, Im doing it.

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2018 at 3:31am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I read an interview with David Chase years after the
finale but years before Mr. Gandolfini's death,
wherein Chase stated he had underestimated how many
people truly wanted Tony to get his comeuppance for
his crimes.

He went on to answer a question about the family's
future, stating AJ would be an inept middle-manager
type, Meadow would make her fortune for a few years
working for a prestigious law firm before leaving to
pursue her passion of helping people whose rights have
been trampled on, and that Tony and Carmella would be
less active, living a retirement lifestyle and
enjoying grandkids.

I wish I could remember exactly where and this
interview took place so I could properly cite it, but
it sounds like Mr. chase made a few contradictory
statements over the years regarding Tony's fate.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2018 at 12:31pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

"A guy like Tony Soprano is not likely to have neat and tidy packages of enemies who can all be eliminated. I'm assuming Tony got whacked by that guy who was stooging around in the men's room. He could have been anybody, with any kind of grudge."

---

You're not wrong, JB. But your "tidy packages" comment brings up something about the show that I'm conflicted about. There were many plot points that were never resolved on the show, which irked me and smacked of lazy writing, to me at least. Other fans had made similar complaints, to which the writers retorted that in real life, not everything gets neatly resolved. That of course is true, but there's a fine line, IMO. On the one end, you get Chris Claremont, and on the other, you get "tidy packages". As a professional writer yourself, I'm sure you have your own opinions to this - how much should a writer balance resolving plots against realism?

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2018 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Weird idea - weirder that it's not running on HBO. Anyone who liked/loved The Sopranos is familiar with it through HBO. The idea of a prequel, released in theaters, without the original cast, seems a recipe for disaster. 

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 5:44am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

"...without the original cast..."

To address just this one small part of your post Mark, a
Sopranos prequel set in the 60s really can't feature the
original cast.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |