Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Sports Talk
Topic: Video Replays In Football (UK Soccer) Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2018 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

This season marked the first time that referees were assisted by video assistant referees (VAR). And it has not been without controversy.

I am against VAR.

Okay, people are fallible. That includes referees. During a recent FA Cup match, between Leicester and Fleetwood, Leicester's second goal was flagged offside, but VAR showed it was onside. So the goal was given.

But for as long as I've followed sports, I've been against video replay. I feel it undermines the referees. Plus, it adds time to a game: four minutes were added to one FA Cup match due to the referee checking VAR three times. Also, VAR slows down a fast-paced game like football.

Life isn't perfect. People make mistakes. Businesses make mistakes. Referees make mistakes. I think it's best to accept that referees, and their assistants, aren't infallible. But VAR is, in my view, throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
Back to Top profile | search

Jim Lynch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2018 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I agree with you Robbie. I hated when the NFL started this, and they've had to adjust it some. It took baseball forever to do it, being a slower paced game, it doesn't bother me much. But football (soccer) never stops, so this will only sow the momentum.
On the other hand, there's that one bald ref in the Premier League who seems to miss everything...

And we already get enough stoppage time with players flopping with fake injuries. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 2:42am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I only really want it in wrestling for when managers throw something in a wrestler's eye. ;-)

But, seriously, I think part of life and sport's rich tapestry is the fact that people are infallible. I think it can take away from a game when a referee's decisions are forever being questioned. I've played in sports when a referee has missed something. Sure, it's frustrating, but you accept it and move on. You get more out of your game.

And in a way, it's a good "metaphor" for life. Sometimes life is unfair. A manager may screw up at work. You may get an unfair parking ticket. The car you buy might have a minor flaw which costs a lot to repair. Frustrating, sure, but don't we appreciate life more when we realise things aren't always going to be perfect?

Edited by Robbie Parry on 29 March 2018 at 2:43am

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 7:00am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I think the preponderance of replays in American football have made the game almost unwatchable on TV. I'm tired of 4 hour games and endless stops as they show a referee in his little tent looking at a replay.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 7:02am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Very true, John.

I have no stats to hand, but I am sure referees/umpires do well 90-95% of the time. That 5-10% is frustrating for fans, but we want the games to flow.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I don't agree with the fallibility/infallibility argument. Goal-line tech has fitted in seamlessly into football and no-one has an issue with it. Either it's a goal or it is not, and we have the technology to know instantly whether it is so or not. Brilliant.

VAR's problem is the time implementation issue. This may improve and I'm willing to give keep an open mind for the time being.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2018 at 5:19am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I just want a fast game, Peter. Always. ;-)

Four minutes were added onto a game recently (can't recall which one, may have been an FA Cup round) because of VAR. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I always will!!! :D

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |