Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Trek
Topic: STAR TREK: TMP behind the scenes Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I've never seen this video before, or at least I've only seen stills or clips taken from it.  The footage of Persis Khambatta having her hair removed I've never seen in full.   I've seen the odd still off the dental mirror array used to light the film.

AFAIK this 'behind the scenes' has never appeared on any DVD or BluRay as an extra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaYLmdun8hs
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 4:32pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Interesting!

I read an interview with Persis Khambatta in the 90s where she said there were all these stories about her crying as they shaved off her hair, but in reality (she said) it was everyone else in tears, particularly Walter Koenig.

She certainly looks in tears there.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 April 2018 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Watched a different "Making of..." a while back. Almost embarrassing how little Robrt Wise seemed to know about the series. At one point he was quite dismissive of the "tiny" models used on the show, boasting that his Enterprise was eight feet long. The model used in TOS was eleven feet.

(Even Douglas Trumble grumbled that the principle model was too small, and they had to build a "periscope" rig for the camera, to shoot the closeups.)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2018 at 7:09am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I could be wrong, but it felt like Wise was reading from notes during his commentary for TMP. That is an assumption and I *could* be wrong, but it felt like that. I can't prove that, of course.

He was an interesting choice for director, I'll say that.

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 April 2018 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

He was an interesting choice for director, I'll say that.

••

Having directed one of the greatest science-fiction movies of all, he doubtless seemed like a natural to some.

Unfortunately, no.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2018 at 9:38am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Watched a different "Making of..." a while back. Almost embarrassing how little Robrt Wise seemed to know about the series. At one point he was quite dismissive of the "tiny" models used on the show, boasting that his Enterprise was eight feet long. The model used in TOS was eleven feet. 

(Even Douglas Trumble grumbled that the principle model was too small, and they had to build a "periscope" rig for the camera, to shoot the closeups.)

+++++++++

Yeah, Wise was admittedly not a fan, and had a number of episodes screened for him when he got the job. As the story goes, it was his wife (who WAS a fan) who told him that he needed to get Nimoy onboard, since it simply wouldn’t be STAR TREK without Spock.

As for his model comments, those may have been an honest mistake on his part. The three-foot Enterprise model from TOS was loaned out to Magicam (the initial studio contracted to build TMP’s models) by Roddenberry as a reference, early on, and it was during that time that the model was lost/stolen/destroyed. It could very well be that Wise saw the small model in the FX studio when planning out TMP’s effects, and assumed that it was the primary filming miniature from TOS. So, yeah, from his point of view, the new model built for TMP would have been much bigger by comparison. He may simply have been unaware of the 11-footer’s existence.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2018 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

"He was an interesting choice for director, I'll say that.
••

Having directed one of the greatest science-fiction movies of all, he doubtless seemed like a natural to some.

Unfortunately, no. "
Those involved in making TMP all credit Robert Wise as the one who kicked everyone's can and got the project actually filming. Before Wise's arrival, Roddenberry had been the lead of the project, and had burned through a lot of money without anything being filmed, and without resolving a script that didn't have a satisfactory ending. Once Wise arrived, Roddenberry was increasingly absent from the production.

Certainly Wise deserves criticism for proceding with a bad script. And he wasn't able to get a good performance out of Shatner. It's not the best Star Trek movie, but I think it's a better movie than most people remember it as.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |