Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV
Topic: Bionics, Batman And Star Wars Obsession Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2018 at 1:53am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The latest issue of sci-fi magazine INFINITY (UK) had an article about THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN and THE BIONIC WOMAN.

Three interesting facts are worth sharing here, I feel.

A columnist called Robert MacKenzie felt that bionics, and plans for bionic body replacements, would become obsolete by 2050, and that replacement limbs would be grown organically. Isaac Asimov, however, praised the show for its plausible use of bionics. Makes me think of that thread elsewhere about predicting the future.

Lee Majors was wary about accepting the role of Steve Austin, due to concerns it would be as campy as BATMAN. Bless him, but the shadow of Adam West's BATMAN loomed large for years.

Finally, due to the success of the likes of STAR WARS and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND, NBC wanted to change the direction of THE BIONIC WOMAN. They wanted Jaime Sommers to find an alien civilisation inside the Earth - and then go travelling around the universe with a being called the Star Man. 

Regarding that, it wouldn't have worked for me. I liked it when aliens and Bigfoot showed up in both shows, but I wouldn't have wanted to see Sommers travelling around the universe.

It seems entertainment can never resist a bandwagon, eh?
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 31 March 2018 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

For many writers, directors and producers, "science fiction" is a BIG tent. Anything and everyhing can be shoveled in. CYBORG, the novel by Martin Caiden that served as the basis for THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN, was as grounded in reality as it could be. But once the show became a series, it did not take long for the introduction of fantasy elements -- Bigfoot, aliens -- to slide in.

Same thing happened with WONDER WOMAN, but at least there the fantasy base was in position from the start.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2018 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I need to read CYBORG one day. Been meaning to.

I didn't see the fantasy/sci-fi episodes as a kid. In my region, they seemed to air episodes out of order. I saw a lot featuring "normal" bad guys.

Then, when Sci-Fi repeated the show in 1996, I saw all of these sci-fi episodes.

Incidentally, I felt the 60s BATMAN series got very samey as time went on. The villains became interchangeable. I often wondered if the series could have spruced up a bit with an alien/monster or two.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2018 at 12:20am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

JB, have you ever thought about writing and drawing a comic book adaption of the original Cyborg novel?

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 01 April 2018 at 7:05am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

JB, have you ever thought about writing and drawing a comic book adaption of the original Cyborg novel?

Nope.

(Hey! An easy one!)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |