Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Studios THE ETERNALS (?) Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2019 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

While Doctor Doom would be a great choice -- when done RIGHT -- for the over-arching villain of the next phase, my bets are on Galactus.  First, Doctor Doom,  like the FF, needs some time to remove the stain of the FOX films. Galactus never truly appeared in those films, and the Silver Surfer movie was a decade ago.

Second,  before buying FOX was an option, Marvel Studios had tried to bargain with FOX when Daredevil's license was expiring,  trying to get FOX to trade the rights for Silver Surfer and Galactus.  I think it's obvious from that that Fiege's team has some plans in mind already. 

Back to Top profile | search | www

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2019 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Since Marvel has gone out of their way to thank JB in every other movie they've ever made, I have a strong feeling that Kevin Feige probably holds his FF run in high regard.

If they were smart, they will liberally take a page or fifty from Mr. Byrne's FF tenure, when they start planning the next reboot.

Or hell, throw him a wad of cash and get him on board for story conferences!

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2019 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Since Marvel has gone out of their way to thank JB in every other movie they've ever made, I have a strong feeling that Kevin Feige probably holds his FF run in high regard.

——

Kevin Feige may very well hold JB’s FF in high regard, but my understanding of the “Special Thanks” credits are they are acknowledgement of the credited co-creators of any specific character they use or the creative team behind any comic stories they crib from in the movie plots. 

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2019 at 5:55am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'm actually a pretty big Eternals fan. I loved Kirby's original run, I also enjoyed the 80's miniseries and their appearances in books like Thor and The Avengers, but Marvel's recent attempts at using them (going back to the Gaiman/JRjr. miniseries) have kind of left me cold. My only concern is that they'll use that Gaiman concept as the template for the movies. 

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2019 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The need for the public's memory to fade is unnecessary in regards to the FF. After the horrifically bad Spider-Man 3 in 2007, the franchise reboot was announced in 2010, leading to the Amazing Spider-Man in 2012. After that franchise went down in flames with the next film in 2014, it's reboot was announced months afterwards, leading to Spider-Man: Homecoming in 2015. 

All of these films, even the bad ones, drew audiences and made money. It's been nearly four years since the Josh Trank film tanked and twelve years since Rise of the Silver Surfer. 

It's okay. You don't really need to wait an hour before going back in the water if you've eaten something. And even if you still think you do, by modern standards, it's been long enough.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2019 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

One of the things that the "bad"* Fantastic Four movies did was familiarize the audience with the name and characters. Throw something involving them into the end of credits scene and even the movie goers who aren't intimately familiar with the team will get excited. Look no further than Captain Marvel, I had a lot of friends who were excited when her emblem showed up on Fury's device without having a clue who she was. There's been questions to almost every movie as to whether people will come out see it and the response since Iron Man has been "yes". 

*I'm sure some people really enjoyed them.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 12 May 2019 at 6:46am

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2019 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

If you're including the Trank film in that estimation, Shawn, I don't see how they could... :-)

In any case, another example of a Marvel character with a bad film history gaining traction onscreen in the modern MCU is Howard the Duck. Somehow, enough of the public either knows the character, recognizes him from the 1985 film, or is just okay with a talking duck onscreen that his appearances are anticipated and discussed. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2019 at 6:24am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Rich Johnston may have been the only person I remember liking it with the glowing review that he gave it. I'm all for a person liking what they like but the fact that Trank and company missed the mark SO much with that movie...

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2019 at 6:12pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Salma Hayek potentially joining the cast???

I'm in!!!

Edited by Shaun Barry on 27 June 2019 at 6:12pm

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2019 at 3:34am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Since the only still I've seen of the picture shows a young/thin Thanos, I'm guessing this might be more of a Jim Starlin Titan/space "Eternals" type thing than a Jack Kirby Earthbound Eternals deal.

But it will probably be a mix.  GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. II made it seem that only Kurt Russell's Ego was a "Celestial" but then GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. I established "Knowhere" as being built in a giant Celestial's(?) skull!  So...I don't know!

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2019 at 4:13am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

So it looks like Marvel Studios tore the entertainment world a new @sshole during SDCC.  

Avengers: Endgame is now the HIGHEST GROSSING MOVIE OF ALL TIME having passed Avatar

The official cast of Eternals was announced....
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/eternals/eternals-cast-reveal -confirms-angelina-jolie-salma-hayek-richard-madden-kumail-n anjiani-more-a169611

And a bunch of movie and TV announcements that deserve their own posts.

The Phase Four news has been EPIC!

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 21 July 2019 at 4:13am

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2019 at 5:19am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I remain incredibly underwhelmed by the Eternals. If the basic plot of this film is them going against Gilgamesh/The Forgotten One it's not exactly a winning story. Hopefully there's a lot more driving this concept. Otherwise it just seems like filler until the mutants arrive in the MCU

Jack Kirby had many great ideas, characters and concepts. I'm still not sure this is one of them. I would be more excited about a Devil Dinosaur movie at this point.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |