Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Let’s Arm Teachers!! Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2018 at 5:17am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Whereas there are teachers I would certainly trust to be safe and responsible with a gun, the odds of them ever needing and being able to use it to prevent death would still be much lower than the odds of something bad, such as having the gun stolen or an accidental discharge.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2018 at 7:53am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

After arming the teachers, there are other steps that can be taken to improve security. Barbed wire. Trenches. Helmets for the kids. A piece of heavy artillery for each school. Air support. Perhaps land mines behind the bike shed.
Back to Top profile | search

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2018 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Every school I'd attended has employed some outright psychos who didn't belong in the same area code as a firearm. Not to mention this kind of buffoon, whose inattention could have lead to a dead freshman if it happened on campus and the gun found its way onto the football team.

I am certain if my 6th grade English teacher Mrs. Smith had been able to reach into her desk for a handgun that time she screamed at me at the top of her lungs for leaving my name off my Greek mythology paper, I'd have been shot dead in 1984.

I can see a way where teachers effectively defend against bullets by piling themselves three thick in a wall around the campus. Sure would take a lot of them, though. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2018 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Bring back those chunky wooden blackboard erasers i say,
some of my old teachers could get a headshot from acroos
the class!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2018 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

My maths teacher would slam his metre stick on the desk without any warning if we got too noisy. It sounded like a gunshot. Wouldn't be so amusing these days.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2018 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Do they REALLY want to makes schools safe for children?

Make two entrances, and armed guards and metal detectors at each entrance. Everyone entering strips, leaves their clothing, and puts on neutral but bright orange coveralls. At morning bell, that school is sealed shut. NO ONE enters or leaves during the day. Armed guards patrol the perimeter.

Everyone stays until final bell, and then they ALL leave. Take off the coveralls, put the outside clothing back on, and clear out fast.

That ought to keep students and teachers safe. A totalitarian set up under lock and key. Hardly conducive to learning, but an ideal situation for safety - and anyway, they just use standardized tests these days ANYHOW.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |