Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Trump Talk Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 2:28am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Trump is not Presidential in ay shape or form. 

If it makes someone happy that he pisses off the media and more experienced politicians, then you truly don't have a grasp of how destructive, racist and xenophobic this man is. His decisions are isolating America. The next POTUS will need 2 terms to re-build the USA.

Speaking as a Brit, I look back at George W. Bush. I may not have agreed with a number of things he did or how he dealt with them, but at least the man had America and its peoples best intentions at heart.

There is none of that with Trump. He's only concerned with image and ego. 

Edited by Greg McPhee on 19 April 2018 at 2:28am
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 2:50am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I certainly hope the investigations in timely fashion cripple rather than hobble Trump. The elections in November of 2018 and 2019 will offer some view as to whether either because of or even independent of them there is or will be a nationwide ebbing of Trump support. In 1974, right before Nixon resigned, polls were taken. "Should the President resign or be forced out?" -- was the question. 59% of Republicans said NO. So, even at the time when Nixon's situation could not have been any worse, still the (easy) majority of Republicans were in favor of him staying on the job. If that was true then, nobody anywhere should even begin to hope that the majority of Republicans today will abandon Trump. The link to the recent CNN report I had included above, indeed, shows that Trump up to now has made the GOP his own. With the power and money of the presidency and a rock solid base as well, Trump right now doesn't appear to me to be in great risk of losing re-election.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 4:13am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The Democrats need to ensure that they put up a really viable candidate for 2020.

The opportunity to grab the emerging voters and the youth vote are crucial.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 5:12am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

See, to me, Obama was Jimmy Carter redux, but the difference was in the 1970s you didn't have SNL protecting Carter, you didn't have mass media protecting Carter, you didn't have 99% of pop culture (actors, musicians, et.al.) working overtime to protect Carter.

The result of this protection for BHO is that words, actions, and experience no longer mattered to a good percentage of the electorate.  That's how you get someone like Trump elected, you make it so no objective measure of presidential qualification matters any more by protecting someone who should not have beaten Hillary the first time around, and should not have beaten Mitt the second time around.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 5:56am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

You think Obama was "protected"?

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 7:00am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

There were many differences between Carter and Obama, but two key ones were about perceptions of effectiveness with regard to the economy and foreign policy.

Both presidents inherited messed up economies. Carter had stagnation and punishingly-high inflation ("stagflation") and Obama had the fallout from the credit crunch. Carter basically said, well it's tough but whatta you gonna do? In the wings you had Reagan saying, hey, I have a plan to knock inflation on its head and get the economy moving again (it was a wonky plan, but just saying he had a plan was appealing).

Obama saw steady recovery his whole time in office. Now he may not have had too much to do with that, but the electorate don't start looking for a replacement when things are moving in the right direction.

Then, Carter had the Iranian hostage crisis, which once again made him look powerless. The US thwarted by a bunch of students.

And Obama oversaw the take-down of Osama Bin Laden during his first term.

There's quite a sharp contrast in how this shaped perceptions of the two presidencies in terms of can't-do and can-do.

Edited by Peter Martin on 19 April 2018 at 7:00am

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 8:18am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

That's how you get someone like Trump elected

Trump is the monster the GOP (and Fox news) have been building in their lab over the last thirty years.

And Obama was "protected"? Then how would you describe the Bush years after 9-11, when even questioning the administration's insane policies got you labeled a traitor?

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

At the time of the election race and his win, it was
an amazing time. I still enjoy watching election night
coverage videos of everyone melting down, like the
Young Turks.

It has lost some of its luster over time and I'm not
happy that Trump seems to be caving in to the elites
and I don't like that he is bombing Syria. But the
election really showed that the elites can be toppled
if they go too far and people push back.

Trump is not a good guy, I never thought he was, he
was a bad guy taking out the bad guys in my view.
Darth Vader throwing the Emperor down that pit.

He was able to do what other republican candidates
didn't have a spine to do, which is fight back. All
other candidates would have bent over to the media
attacks and cower in a corner hoping they could win.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

This was my view at the time pretty much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=sHCul_DIM_4&t=4shttps://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=sHCul_DIM_4&t=4s
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Trump is toppling the elites by putting the lobbyists who were funding them in charge and by giving the wealthy massive tax breaks? Those guys were served.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Obama and Carter = completely different. 

Carter was, frankly, too nice a person to be an effective president. And I still believe the Iranian hostage crisis was tampered with to make him even more uneffective. Nice man, bad president.

Obama was hampered by Congress fully intending to screw him over at every turn. One of most useless Congresses ever, in fact.

If I had been eligible to vote back then, I would not have voted to re-elect Carter. On the other hand, if Obama had been able to run for a third term, I'd have voted for him again in a heartbeat.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

This notion that Trump is somehow fighting against the establishment is at total odds with what he's actually done.  Instead of "drain the swamp", he's hired more cronies that are gouging the government for every penny they can steal than any President in recent memory.  Rewriting tax law doesn't help many, but it does help the 1% (the elites) and corporations.  Wow.  Really speaking for the common man and upsetting the apple cart.  

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |