Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Best of British TV Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2019 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Some of the best British tv comedy in that vein was the various Spike Milligan series and anything by Peter Cook & Dudley Moore. Though I never was too keen on The Goodies I did watch it back in the day.

Oh, and Python, you can get the sets for the two series that preceded it: At Last The 1948 Show (Cleese and Chapman) and Do Not Adjust Your Set (Palin, Jones, Idle, Gilliam)... and then there's also Cleese's How To Irritate People, Palin & Jones' Ripping Yarns and Eric Idle & Neil Innes' Rutland Weekend Television (which introduced The Rutles). A bit more obscure might be End Of Part One which had Denise Coffey from Do Not Adjust Your Set.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2019 at 7:41pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'm a bit weird in that I love Fawlty Towers, and can enjoy The Goodies, but I've never warmed to Monty Python stuff much - some of the sketches and bits of the movies are fun, but it's never resonated with me. Same deal with Spike Milligan. Peter Sellers is hit and miss for me too.

And then again, I like Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em and Dad's Army, but get easily bored watching The Two Ronnies or The Benny Hill Show or Are You Being Served

Can't explain it beyond the fact that there must be a combination of nostalgia and possibly some invisible personal line which is crossed where too much zany slapstick or camp or silliness becomes unfunny for me.

I also notice that in this post and the last one I made here, I only really mention British comedies (except Granada's Sherlock Holmes). So possibly I have some issue with British dramas too! :)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2019 at 9:30pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I totally get what you're saying about slapstick -- was never a big fan of Benny Hill, but I would venture that the Two Ronnies were rarely slapstick and that Ronnie Barker was a master of word play. 

(Fork 'andles -- a classic. As was the previous question/asnwer Mastermind sketch. Or the one where Ronnie B. tries to give his long bar order, plus his own large G&T, and gets increasingly pissed.)

When we were young kids, the general consensus about Spike Milligan was that he was 'mad'. There is this though: LINK . It's bizarre and anarchic and not unfunny, though not sure why it needs the racial angle.

Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2019 at 10:42pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I have a feeling that Spike Milligan Daleks bit was done around when Channel 4 was announced, the channel for minority interests, and there was some question how the BBC and ITV would be able to fill the schedules. They were going to share the ad revenues as an incentive. So that may've run alongside a bunch of other spoof programming showing how desperate they might be to fill time?

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2019 at 10:51pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I loved all the aforementioned comedies, but like
Kouresh, i found Monty Python and Spike Milligan very
hit and miss, with miss the majority! Fawlty Towers and
Blackadder are good, because neither outstayed their
welcome. I quite liked Benny Hill and The Goodies, but i
think it may have been because as a kid the slapstick
appealed to me, whereas if i watched it now, i think it
would become tiresome very quickly.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 12:38am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

My favorite British shows are Monty Python's Flying Circus, The Young Ones, Black Books, Spaced, Jam, and Ideal. 

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 5:15am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'm a bit weird in that I love Fawlty Towers, and can enjoy The Goodies, but I've never warmed to Monty Python stuff much - some of the sketches and bits of the movies are fun, but it's never resonated with me. Same deal with Spike Milligan. Peter Sellers is hit and miss for me too.

Men have died for less!!

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I have never seen Spike Milligan or even heard of The Goodies. But I like Monty Python. As for Peter Sellers....DR. STRANGELOVE, MURDER BY DEATH and the PINK PANTHER movies are the only things I've seen him in that I actually cared for.

I've tried to watch THE FIENDISH PLOT OF DR. FU MANCHU multiple times, but have never been able to get through it. Though he is far from the worst part of the film.

PBS used to run several British comedies (its also how I first watched DOCTOR WHO), and I liked most of the ones I watched. The only two I couldn't get into were LAST OF THE SUMMER WINE and BARBARA. I gave up on both after one and three episodes, respectively. 

Edited by Brian Floyd on 22 June 2019 at 10:16am

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Last of the Summer Wine became very tedious and yet somehow ran for years.

I'd like to recommend a Bit of Fry and Laurie:

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Last Of The Summer Wine ran for 37 years. I'm surprised it was ever aired in the U.S. as it's so gentle and low-key and, well, Yorkshire. Rising Damp or I Didn't Know You Cared would seem much more better suited to America for northern comedies. One Foot In The Grave is a more recent Britcom I always enjoyed, and I know at least some PBS have run it. There was even talk that Bill Cosby was looking at making his own version of it (this was awhile back now obviously). Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em is hilarious in small doses, they are kind of excruciating to watch in the same way where you see Basil Fawlty heading into trouble, only the uber-fey Michael Crawford character (in Some Mothers) was soooo oblivious and unlucky it could be too much.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 22 June 2019 at 11:30am

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Last Of The Summer Wine, it always seemed to be the
three main characters rolling down a hill in a bathtub!
I have no idea why it lasted as long as it did, maybe it
was undemanding comfort viewing for the elderly?

Some Mothers Do `Ave `Em was required viewing when i was
a kid, but i think it is of it`s time! Interesting fact
i only found out recently, the theme tune is Morse Code
for the title.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Ooooooh, Betty!

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |