Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 291 Next >>
Topic: Pencil Practice -- and Beyond! Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 July 2018 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 1  

JB, whats your take on Nightcrawler's teleport ability? Can he nullify his velocity by teleporting?

•••

I should think that goes without saying.

Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2018 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 2  

IMO, you are either partially phased and still affected by molecules, including the heat of the lava and the need to breathe. Or you are fully phased and not affected by anything in our physical world.
-----------------------------------------------------
The term phase suggests moving out of sync with our physical world. So the lava can't burn her. Fine. I don't think it necessarily follows that she stops needing oxygen. She takes on oxygen when in phase with our physical world. Then moves out of phase, taking all her normal body chemistry with her. Her cells still produce energy as normal, using oxygen from her bloodstream. I think it's a limitation that seems reasonable to me. I think if she can breathe while phasing but not inside another object, that doesn't make sense. I can't recall if that was the case. 

Edited by Peter Martin on 23 July 2018 at 12:38pm

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 July 2018 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 3  

The term phase suggests moving out of sync with our physical world.

•••

I don't remember when Chris first used the term "phase" to describe what Kitty does. It's not a particularly accurate usage, whenever it first showed up. As I defined Kitty's power, she was able to alter and control the valances between atom. Since most matter is largely empty space, this allowed her atoms to pass between the atoms of solid objects, and vice-versa. It did not mean the other atoms flowed around her, as if she was swimming. Not "swimming thru mud," in other words.

This also means that Juggernaut bit doesn't work. Sure, she could pull him down into the floor, but he would become "one with the floor," his atoms mingled with those of the floor. He would not be able to break out. More likely he'd be dead.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2018 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 4  

MODOK with mechanical spider legs
I've had a soft spot for MODOK since Tales of Suspense but was unfamiliar with the spider legs... I like 'em.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 July 2018 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 5  

Last caption not TOO snarky, huh?

sigh

Manuel Soler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2018 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 6  

I don't remember when Chris first used the term "phase" to describe what Kitty does. It's not a particularly accurate usage, whenever it first showed up. As I defined Kitty's power, she was able to alter and control the valances between atom. Since most matter is largely empty space, this allowed her atoms to pass between the atoms of solid objects, and vice-versa. It did not mean the other atoms flowed around her, as if she was swimming. Not "swimming thru mud," in other words.

I have revised my MMW and the term "phase" 1st appears in X-Men Annual #4 and X-Men #141.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2018 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 7  

JB, you have tossed in balloons and captions to a few pages. I would imagine you have an outline or story that you are following in your head as you do the pages, but does that extend down to the actual scripting? Do you imagine what will be said from page to page? I ask because the visuals for the "birds" reveal with Wolverine seems driven by that bit of dialog.

Edited by Eric Ladd on 23 July 2018 at 2:14pm

Mitch Denoyer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2018 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 8  

Looking at the last page, it made me wonder if the perspective grid ever influences the panel shapes.

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2018 at 3:26pm | IP Logged | 9  

Kitty gets to have a face-to-face that makes Nightcrawler seem downright handsome!

The face in that page lost some of its pure hideousness that Kirby gave it. MODOK has been treated like a joke for a while, but he would be quite terrifying to see in real life. Just ask my son. It took him a year to get over his fear of my MODOK Build-A-Figure. It is very faithful to the classic look. 

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 July 2018 at 3:29pm | IP Logged | 10  

Looking at the last page, it made me wonder if the perspective grid ever influences the panel shapes.

••

Other way around!

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 July 2018 at 5:15pm | IP Logged | 11  

A peek at something upcoming...

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 July 2018 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 12  

Found an online comment that says this project "looks weird".

Typically, no further info offered.

Another said s'he liked the pages because they were "less cartoony".

Than WHAT was not offered, either.

<< Prev Page of 291 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |