Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: DC’s Bane VS Marvel’s Chameleon Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 7:17am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Bane VS Chameleon. Discuss!

I feel Chameleon is underrated. He's very resourceful, and a guy who can disguise himself as almost anyone makes for a formidable foe. Has Bane ever fought anyone quite like the Chameleon?

Bonus points (I'm looking at you, Wallace, Brian Hague, and Eric Sofer) for coming up with a storyline for such a battle.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Am I missing something? Last time I looked, the Chameleon was just a normal guy who wore disguises.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

He is normal, but I think he's very devious, a good planner and often appeared to punch above his weight (until the inevitable defeat). So thinking of a brain vs brain battle here!

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Short fight. The Chameleon disguises himself as someone Bane trusts, walks up and shoots him in the head. Or Bane sees thru the disguise and snaps the Chameleon in half.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 9:38am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Yeah... this sounds like one of those one-pagers where things go badly wrong for one of them and that's it.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Oh, one-page stories would be good, Andrew. I'm still waiting to see the Lizard get his clock cleaned by the Hulk. Or is that half a page? ;-)

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 5:29pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Since I can't refuse a request... :)

Midnight, New York City. A tall, elegant, lovely woman sits in shadow, speaking with a big Hispanic man in a Crime Alley bar. She speaks softly but intensely.

"Señor Dorrance, it's gone too far. My father still strives for control of the world... but now, he has formed a partnership that looms to be a threat over all of us. I cannot support him any longer."

"I care not," Bane answers. "Let the world fight. I will destroy al-Ghul. He is nothing."

"He is working with... the Batman. They are now as one."

Green eyes widen with rage. "This... what do you say? You are right, and I will destroy them BOTH!" He stands up and flings the chair aside and strode towards the rear door.

And then, he briefly turns back, and curses, "Then I shall return... for YOU!" He rumbles out the door, as the woman stands...

And removes a costume and kicks off "her" shoes. A man in a white mask says, "Oh, I only hope you do, Bane. I only hope you do. God, those heels were killing me."

As soon as Bane finds out the lie, he'll be back on the Chameleon like... like a costume on the Chameleon. With Batman and Spider-Man both trying to stop him.

I mean, sure, Bane doesn't break stride to wallop the Chameleon... but the story to get to that fight could be interesting.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I could see a scenario in which the Chameleon has developed an antipathy for Bane (Bane is not a likeable guy) and disguises himself as, say, Deathstroke or the Punisher, to take him out. When Bane discovers that he is the target of these men, he proceeds to eliminate people close to them, earning their enmity as well. The Chameleon could bring a lot of misery to Bane's doorstep, but only be successful at it because Bane acts like Bane. 

If Bane were to stop and realize that "Deathstroke's" shots were hardly expert, or that "the Punisher's" efforts against him did not play out as they have against others, he might realize what's happening to him. He's not unintelligent. Such a development might lead to a second chapter in which Bane goes after the Chameleon, trying to bait him into another direct attempt against him. He has to bring the Chameleon to him because, trying the find the Chameleon himself when he doesn't want to be found? Can't be done. If Bane can figure out what he did that brought the Chameleon into play against him in the first place, he might be able to draw him in by doing it again. But what was it? 

For a smash-up finale, we could find the Chameleon on the ropes, running for his life from a raging Bane who is pursuing him through the docks. Chameleon is making his way to a bar where the Sandman is known to hang out. He's disguised himself as Sandman's sometimes-buddy Hydro-Man to beg his help and gets in through the back door, which explodes behind him moments later as Bane smashes his way through.

Seated at the bar is Sandman and Hydro-Man. When Bane goes to rip the "mask" off Hydro-Man, he earns himself a beating from the both of them while the Chameleon himself could be any one of a dozen of the people running from the bar at top speed. Maybe he's the grizzled old sailor-man who looks back and smiles. Maybe not. Bane's got too much to worry about at the moment to give it much thought. 

Edited by Brian Hague on 21 June 2018 at 6:19pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Bane versus Daredevil would be the type of fight I'd like to see. Or possibly Moon Knight since he tends to lead with his chin. How much punishment could either of them take taking down Bane?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 6:50am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Eric and Brian came through, thank you! :)

I chose those characters because I'm trying to "think outside the box". We, myself included, often come up with predictable scenarios, e.g. Abomination VS Juggernaut or Aquaman VS Namor, but I wanted a villain vs villain encounter, and I wanted one to be relatively obscure.

I always enjoyed how resourceful and devious the Chameleon was. I shamelessly ripped him off when I wrote my own superhero adventures as a kid.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 4:27pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Obscure? You want obscure? How about Mysterio vs. Dr. Light? Slightly similar but really different... and in pretty much the same power class.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 10:23pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Unfortunately, Dr. Light was a serial rapist for years at DC, the man who raped Sue Dibney, in fact, and, at Marvel, the Mysterio identity found its way into the hands of the brother of the drug dealer who attempted to rape the Black Cat after dosing her with heroin. He himself had been raped by the brother throughout his childhood and killed him as a result.

Neither character is anything but unpleasant anymore, reboots, rebirths, and restructurings notwithstanding.

We'd have to do some serious pretending it's still the Silver or Bronze Age to make such a battle work as anything but a horror show.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |