Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV << Prev Page of 5
Topic: Doom Patrol Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2019 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I have a lot of affection for Morrison's DP run (as well as Richard Case's unique and moody art), so I'd probably like this quite a bit.  Only real question I have is not exactly why Cyborg is here as much as why he's here, Teen Titans, and the JL movie.  That's a whole lotta Vic.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2019 at 12:09am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I really want to like this show but none of the characters are anyone I care about.  Modern writers just seem to have no idea how to make a character sympathetic and compelling.

I know they're going for deep, flawed and layered but to me, it just comes out as not caring what happens to them because they're creeps.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Scott Good
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2019 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I've never had much interest in Doom Patrol. The 80's Erik Larsen books were fun to look at seeing his early style. Like Steve De Young I'll wait to see if it pops up on another service.
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2019 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'm still enjoying the show. Mostly for Brendan Fraser's Robotman. The second episode really ramped up the Morrison weirdness, complete with fourth wall breaking. The third episode was a bit more conventional, but still had some of the quirkiness. 

Cyborg still seems out of place. He seems to be mostly there to remind both the characters and the audience that they are not a conventional superhero team like the Justice League.

Also, live-action Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man!

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 16 March 2019 at 9:38am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I see the IMDb is claiming DOOM PATROL “inspired” X-MEN, apparently based on the former having a June 1964 cover date, the latter September.

sigh

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2019 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

DC keeps pushing Cyborg -- in JUSTICE LEAGUE, both the comic and the movie -- and now in this DOOM PATROL series.

I don't think it makes Vic any more popular. His solo series got canceled pretty quickly.

I guess he just doesn't really work outside of the (New Teen) Titans.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2019 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I've never really understood the obsession with the relationship between Doom Patrol and X-Men.  Especially since, reading those original Doom Patrol issues, it was so clearly a knockoff of the Fantastic Four in terms of the character dynamics.

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 16 March 2019 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I'm sure George doesn't mind the free money!

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 16 March 2019 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I've never really understood the obsession with the relationship between Doom Patrol and X-Men. Especially since, reading those original Doom Patrol issues, it was so clearly a knockoff of the Fantastic Four in terms of the character dynamics.

••

When I started on WONDER WOMAN, many complained, sight unseen, that it would be all the SHE-HULK stories I hadn't used. Both strong women, after all, right?

Carlos Velasco
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2019 at 4:41am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Has anyone watched the full Season 1? I have watched 30 minutes and I am not sure if I should go on. There is something I can't explain that feels wrong. Maybe it has to do with Geoff Johns being the producer.

I have read some issues of the original Doom Patrol and I read Morrison's run and I didn't have this feeling.

Could someone do a quick review of the show for me?

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2019 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

When I started on WONDER WOMAN, many complained, sight unseen, that it would be all the SHE-HULK stories I hadn't used. Both strong women, after all, right?

Sounds like a complaint by someone that had never actually read those SHE-HULK stories either.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |