well reviewed and received movie, aside from (for the most part) a very
small and ugly corner of the internet, which is not something you can
say for the DC movies.
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2019 at 6:35pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Adam Hutchinson wrote:
....Also, whether you admit it or not, Last Jedi was an amazingly well reviewed and received movie...

Why wouldn't I admit it? I said it has its detractors, and it does. I never denied positive critical response, at all.

I first discovered how deeply some fans hated the film almost immediately. I saw "The Last Jedi" on its preview night, and was very happy that the movie made bold decisions and went against expectations. I was figuring my fellow Star Wars fans who complained how "The Force Awakens" was more or less a blatant retelling of "A New Hope" would love the new film.

Boy, was I wrong!

It may be a vocal minority, but those that hate "The Last Jedi" are definitely out there and not as small of a group as it is suggested. Hell, as a comic book dealer I am hesitant to bring up the film to my customers, it has divided them so much. I avoid talking politics and religion with customers as it's not smart business sense to do so, and now I have to add TLJ to that list.

Look at this thread for example of what I mean. I noted it SEEMS there is some course correction in the trailer to the upcoming film, and you were all over that one comment.

For one camp, I must either hate "The Last Jedi" completely, or the other, I must praise it as a classic. Neither of which is true with the way I feel about it. I give it a passing grade, though it has does have its problems. Again, like politics, the sides are so polarized within the fan base, it's usually not wise to discuss if one doesn't feel like being argumentative.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the new film. Over a week ago, I did a poll on the Facebook page for my business asking how many people were excited about the upcoming film. For the record, 26 people voted. 19 are excited (73%), and 7 are not (27%). This was before the new trailer was released, but, yeah, it seems in my microcosm that most fans are still excited.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 12 April 2019 at 6:37pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2019 at 9:51pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Good post, Matt.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2019 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Despite my dig on the previous page, it's still an effective trailer, for the most part.  I have no faith in J.J. Abrams doing anything original in Episode 9, but Daisy Ridley continues to impress me with her quiet, confident acting abilities.  Rey and all the newbies may not be particularly compelling, but Ridley certainly seems to be doing her darnedest to make her interesting to watch, at the very least.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2019 at 11:50am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The only part of the trailer I found the least bit interesting or intriguing was at the very end... which is kind of sad, because, if the rumors of what the end of this trailer represents are true, it sort of (one again) cuts deep into the original trilogy's mythos.

Marc 

Edited by Marc Baptiste on 13 April 2019 at 11:50am

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2019 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Can't imagine how this would make most of us feel any differently but J.J. Abrams revealed that he met with George Lucas before working on the script of Episode IX to discuss the vastness of the story and how to bring it all home.

-C!

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2019 at 2:17pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The best part about The Last Jedi were all the twists and surprises - I have not been legitimately surprised by such a big movie since... Empire? But nerds are gonna nerd, especially when they're amplified by social media.

In a way, this film almost steers it back into the "old plan," if you believe Lucas. Luke was supposed to find the "other" and confront the Emperor in IX, but Lucas was burned out and cut it at Jedi.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2019 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The best part about The Last Jedi were all the twists and surprises - I have not been legitimately surprised by such a big movie since... Empire? But nerds are gonna nerd, especially when they're amplified by social media.

"Nerds gonna nerd."

This is always the defense. Not that the movie's flaws made it's alleged greatness something reasonable people can disagree about.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2019 at 6:33pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

That's why I like Matt's appraisal -- a pass grade with some flaws. That, to me, seems fair. Certain parts of the film were excellent and felt fresh, but these were balanced to some degree by significant weaknesses in other parts of the film. It didn't help that the weaknesses pile up at the end. A shorter, leaner film that had tried to cover less might have ended up delivering a lot more.

Edited by Peter Martin on 13 April 2019 at 6:34pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2019 at 11:10pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Loathe as I am to say it, "Rise of Skywalker" probably refers to Kylo Ren redeeming himself somehow. (ugh)

++++++++++++++++++++

How, considering Kylo Ren's real last name is Solo, not Skywalker?

I'm thinking it points to Luke, or....

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
Anakin.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2019 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Unfortunately, be he Ren or Solo, he's still of the Skywalker lineage.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |