Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2019 at 8:59pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2019 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

There may very well be something about the way the light and the environment and everything plays together in the desert, but that won't stop this film being colour graded within an inch of its life.

Oliver Denker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2019 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The German version of the SW9's title is "Der Aufstieg Skywalkers" which is more defining than the English version, for it states that it is the rise of only one person, not several or a group or a family.
I'm sure they cleared this with Lucasfilm.

Edited by Oliver Denker on 29 May 2019 at 12:26pm

Joe Welsh
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2019 at 2:38am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I am not happy with any of this.

Not a big fan of The Force Awakens, aka a bad retelling of a New Hope (which wasn't a New Hope when I saw it in May of 77 in Long Beach Island, NJ) The Last Jedi is just a mess. 

Now I get a trailer called Rise of Skywalker.  I reject the idea that Force wielders would be called Skywalkers (notice the s) If I go by what the original movie tells me, there have generations of Jedi who weren't called Skywalker.  You don't have to be an offspring of Luke, Leia or even Anakin to be a force wielder.  Kylo Ren is at best 1/2 or more likely 1/4 of the Skywalker line and I doubt is going to be redeemed (unless of course, episode 9 is a bad retelling of episode 6). In fact, In flash back, Luke recounts that there were other students at his Jedi school, and I'm sure they aren't from the Skywalker line.

We already know Rey cannot be a Blood Skywalker.  She knows her parents are nobody's.  As I have already noted, just because you are strong with the force, doesn't mean your parents were.  In fact, part of the Jedi code was no attachments, So until Anakin broke that rule, we can partly assume that most force sensitive children didn't inherit the sensitivity from their parents.

I can't see how this movie with the title that it has can be anything more than a disaster and its only real goal is to further erode a story that ended in episode 6 ( or in deference to our host, started and ended in Star Wars)

Obviously, this in my opinion, and you are welcome to disagree

Thanks,

Joe

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2019 at 5:40am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I have low expectations for the Rise of Skywalker. But I don't blame the current folks at LucasFilm.

Expressed succintly what I've felt about the Star Wars franchise for many years: it's a bathtub that has been mistaken for a vast ocean.

It's a story about three kids who take on villains in space. It's not some epic, generational saga. It's not Lord of the Rings, and never will be. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 06 June 2019 at 5:43am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jim Muir
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2019 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'm also not quite sure what 'The Last Jedi' actually means as a title. I thought it was referring to Luke, but there's still Rey, Kylo, and any number of random kids with brooms floating about the galaxy!

As for <<We already know Rey cannot be a Blood Skywalker.  She knows her parents are nobody's. >>

We only know that because Kylo told her. I expect it to be true... 'from a certain point of view' when we get the full details (eg. What Abrams planned all along)

<<unless of course, episode 9 is a bad retelling of episode 6>>
Lucas was quite clear that the trilogies all followed the same beats, 7 is a direct clone, 8 echoes a lot of ESTB... I'd be shocked if episode 9 proved to be anything other than a straightforward action filled FX fuelled copy of ROTJ. 

With less Ewoks.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2019 at 9:19am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Probably with something worse than Ewoks. (If such a thing is even possible)

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2019 at 7:46am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Joe,

Your "bathtub/ocean" analogy is an interesting one for me - when I first saw STAR WARS I had an entirely different perception of the Star Wars "Universe."

I had assumed the Empire had been around for a very, very long time - with the usual long succession of emperors - the current Emperor being just a regular old decadent, decrepit, albeit "NORMAL" guy who ruled in a Caligula/Nero-like fashion with the usual "compliant wife" Senate there to placate the masses. Certainly not THE Emperor of all Emperors who was a SUPER SITH and master of evil behind all the dastardly evil that was going on in the galaxy.

I thought the the Jedi/Sith orders were long "dead" ancient religions - virtually forgotten by time - with Ben Kenobi and Darth Vader being among the last adherents - and thus "special".

Marc

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 09 June 2019 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Starting with a “tribute” to old Flash Gordon serials—something he was not at all shy about professing—Lucas went on to convince himself that it was, in fact, a galaxy spanning SAGA, and that we’d been focusing on the wrong character.

And the real STAR WARS shriveled and died.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2019 at 2:51am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The Last Jedi was one awful concept after another, but I think worst one is the implication that The Force spontaneously empowered Rey because the universe needed a counter to Kylo Ren.  The more powerful he got, the more powerful she suddenly got.  This was from the villain's monologue-ing though, so who knows. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2019 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'm also not quite sure what 'The Last Jedi' actually means as a title. I thought it was referring to Luke, but there's still Rey, Kylo, and any number of random kids with brooms floating about the galaxy!

-----

QUOTE:

Episode VII 

THE FORCE AWAKENS

Luke Skywalker has vanished. In his absence, the sinister FIRST ORDER has risen from the ashes of the Empire and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi, has been destroyed.  

The title was about Luke and his desire to let the Jedi Order die with him. He changes his mind about the latter during the course of the film, but that does not alter the title's meaning.

Edited by Michael Roberts on 11 June 2019 at 10:08am

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |