Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Trek << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Patrick Stewart To Star In New ‘Star Trek’ Series As Jean-Luc Picard Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2019 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Don’t fall for it. 

Kurtzman is an idiot. He keeps saying that Spock and Burnham are “half-siblings” in interviews, so that’s the intellectual level we’re working with, here. And, he’s officially confirmed that Mary Sue Burnham will be instrumental in turning Spock (who’s set to have a “crisis of faith”) into the Spock we know from TOS, a development which many critics of STD saw coming from miles away. 

STD (with its complete disregard/contempt for canon, good taste, and good storytelling—to say nothing of magic mushroom engines, identity politics, and bringing in Pike, Spock, and the Enterprise as a desperation move after they said they never, ever would) is on life-support. CBS announcing these other new shows is just a smokescreen to give the appearance that everything is alright. Kurtzman (who brought us such cinematic universe-building classics as THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 and THE MUMMY), like Abrams, is a hack who fundamentally doesn’t understand STAR TREK.

STD has, by any reasonable standard, been a failure. CBS is in full panic mode, now. If the past decade of NuTREK has been any indication, the Picard series (if it ever goes beyond being “in development”) will try to lure fans in with the nostalgia of seeing Stewart in the role again...and then completely f*** everything up. You can’t go home again. And, even if you could, Kurtzman and company are the last people you’d want to take you there. Never give the fans what they think they want. Some stories and characters are better left alone. Seeing Picard go down in flames will be the last straw for a lot of people, I’m sure.

The sooner the Bad Reboot crew gets its tentacles removed from STAR TREK, the better. It’s been a full decade of locusts feasting on this once-great franchise. Fortunately, they legally have to get AbramsTREK 4 (which has been officially cancelled) into production within the next few months in order to retain the rights. That ain’t happening, so it’s all slowly starting to fall apart. Good riddance. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2019 at 9:31pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Eeeeeyouch, Greg.   

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel. :-)

While I'm not calling doom and gloom on this one just yet I do have a sinking feeling they are going to use Picard as a vehicle to legitemize the existence of the Kelvin-verse.   Either Picard is going to get sucked into the alternate timeline like Spock or we are going to see the Kelvin version of the 'red matter event' and it's aftereffects. 

What do you do when your films are box office failures that can't manage to break even?   

Pony up a shitload of money to Patrick Stewart and try again on the small screen!

I'm kind of baffled why Spiner isn't on board with this.   "Too old to play Data" really doesn't wash when the computer technoilogy exists right now to make Brent look as young onscreen as he did in 1988.   I kinda think he's staying away for other reasons.

Jim Muir
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2019 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

<<STD has, by any reasonable standard, been a failure>>
<<STD... is on life support>>

I’m curious, Greg. Not because I have any axe to grind, but because I can’t find evidence of this. A quick google of news sites just gave me reports of how successful it was in the US. I only ask because over here on this side of the pond, STD is available on Netflix and is pushed as a flagship offering.
Back to Top profile | search

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2019 at 4:37pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

ROB: I'm kind of baffled why Spiner isn't on board with this.   "Too old to play Data" really doesn't wash when the computer technoilogy exists right now to make Brent look as young onscreen as he did in 1988.   I kinda think he's staying away for other reasons.

How do you know Spiner "isn't on board" or is "staying away?" Has anybody but Patrick Stewart been officially announced for this project? Do we even know if he's been approached by the production team regarding a role?

Jim Muir
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2019 at 4:51pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Yeah... maybe Data just isn’t part of this story? Sometimes it’s just as simple as that.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2019 at 1:26am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

You could include Brent Spiner by explaining that the
activated emotion chip triggered an ageing programme. Or
if it`s the B-9 version, an ageing programme was in the
build.

Jim Muir
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2019 at 3:22am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Data could just explain he's trying ageing out in his continual exploration of what it is to become human, or he's deliberately aged his outer shell(?)  at the same speed as his colleagues to make them feel at ease around him.

Personally, I was hoping for as few callbacks to previous Treks as possible. The odd mention here and there is fine but I'd like to see Picard experiencing a new phase of his life, not ticking off a greatest hits list.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2019 at 4:19am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Not because I have any axe to grind, but because I can’t find evidence of this. A quick google of news sites just gave me reports of how successful it was in the US. I only ask because over here on this side of the pond, STD is available on Netflix and is pushed as a flagship offering.

----

I haven't been paying much attention to DISCOVERY, but CBS just recently announced a spin-off around Michelle Yeoh's character, which would be odd if the show were considered a failure.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2019 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

We should all fail this successfully!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2019 at 6:35pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

How do you know Spiner "isn't on board" or is "staying away?" Has anybody but Patrick Stewart been officially announced for this project? Do we even know if he's been approached by the production team regarding a role?

As far as I am aware Spiner has stated he's not involved.  A few web sites then proceeded to fantasy-cast  a new Data.

Of course this may all be just PR.   Anything that gets the speculative fanboy blogs/youtube/forums gurgling is good for business, no?

At face value they seem to be pitching it as "The Picard Monologues" -- ie a Picard centric show rather than an ensemble cast show like TNG.   I'm sure there will be tons of guest appearances but I'm kind of doubting Spiner, Dorn, et al will be the main cast.

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2019 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

It's certainly direct, but I do not love that show title. 

That narrator's voice sounds familiar...

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2019 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Patrick Stewart has aged as have we all.  I get they're trying to set up a mystery but presumably he's going to get reinserted back into Starfleet fairly quickly (just hopefully not in Kirk ST:TMP fashion) so I'm not sure how interested I am in revisiting some traumatic past incident and having JLP overcome it to get back in the game.  I think I'd rather just have him back in the game, boldly going without all the preamble.

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |