Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Trek << Prev Page of 12
Topic: Patrick Stewart To Star In New ‘Star Trek’ Series As Jean-Luc Picard Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2019 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

There's a fine line between suble nods and winks and STGH though.  I wouldn't write it off just yet based on those previews.  Like film trailers they serve a specific purpose and their editing may be skewed towards attracting a wider audience other than their primary demographic.   I fully expected it would be presented as 'TNG 2' in promos.

———

Honestly, I’m not sure what people are seeing when they say Star Trek’s Greatest Hits. It appears to me that Picard visits some people /before/ he takes on his mission. That’s standard cameo fare.

The only character I’m confused about is Seven of Nine, because she is getting featured a lot in the trailer and being a former Borg would tie in with Hugh. So I feel like she’s either going to play a major role throughout the season or die spectacularly in the first episode. 
Back to Top profile | search

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2019 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Yeah, nostalgia sells right now.  Like crazy.  For all we know, we've seen 90% of the TNG cameos in the trailers.  Stewart has said repeatedly in interviews that if this was going to be a TNG reunion he wouldn't have done it.  He apparently turned them down multiple times and agreed to do it only after reading a fairly extensive treatment that caught his attention as being something new.
Back to Top profile | search

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2019 at 5:23am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Steve De Young wrote:
Yeah, nostalgia sells right now.  Like crazy.  For all we know, we've seen 90% of the TNG cameos in the trailers.  Stewart has said repeatedly in interviews that if this was going to be a TNG reunion he wouldn't have done it.  He apparently turned them down multiple times and agreed to do it only after reading a fairly extensive treatment that caught his attention as being something new.

That's one aspect that got my attention when this was announced.  On the flip side it's also well noted that Stewart (or if you believe some accounts, his agent) put pressure on the TNG writers to change the character into more of an action hero protagonist which IMO diminished the character and hurt the franchise.   PICARD looks to be a return to a more thoughtful and contemplative take on the character -- perhaps to acknowledge and atone for the previous hot messes like NEMESIS**.  

The other thing is we really haven't had this kind of longer form storytelling with these characters before, save for Worf on DS9.  We've been told these 10 episodes are going to be like 10 interconnected films.   If even half of these episodes are duds then we are still heads and tails ahead of the entirety of the TNG film era, which -- and I'm being generous here -- had five kicks at the can and produced maybe one decent film and one that was borderline passable.   There never was a happy medium for TNG as it always seemed to be 1.5 hours of story jammed into a rushed hour or padded out to 2 hours with uneven results.   Feature film format didn't seem to work either.   It'll be interesting to see what happens when things are allowed to relax and breathe a little and not be constrained by do-or-die box office performance.

**Not to mention our previous last glimpse of the TNG era was the final episode of ENTERPRISE -- which many feel was a cheat that undercut a key Riker development episode in addition to being a slap in the face to fans of ENT by relegating it's characters into holodeck afterthoughts (on their swansong, no less).

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 12 October 2019 at 5:35am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 12
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |