Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Sandman Near-Unstoppable? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 August 2018 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Okay, I know Sandman has been defeated numerous times, but in many ways, he appears to have a huge advantage over many superheroes, at least on paper.

Spider-Man has found inventive ways to beat Sandman, and has experience in battling him. The Hulk is, well, the Hulk - and I doubt anyone can last long against him.

I think manipulation of sand particles and the ability to transform his body serves Sandman well (in theory). 

I mean, what good would Wolverine's healing factor and claws be against Sandman? What good would Cap's speed and shield be against Sandman? What about Thor? I suppose that hammer could cause some problems against sand, but for how long?

It seems like scientific geniuses (e.g. Reed Richards) and those with magic at their disposal (e.g. Dr. Strange) certainly would take out Sandman quickly. And we've already mentioned Spider-Man and the Hulk.

But for those that depend more on strength and agility, it seems Sandman would be a tough opponent. Sure, they'd find a way to beat him, but many, including quite a few mutants, have powers and abilities that work very well against opponents whose bodies remain solid, but a guy who can change shape at will, and manipulate particles, would be pretty hard to beat, I feel.

They'll find a way. We know that. But it won't be easy. Again, I'll use Wolverine as an example. What use would his claws, healing factor and stamina be against Sandman's powers?
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 August 2018 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

What, exactly, are you asking? How Wolverine could beat Sandman? Or how anyone could beat him?

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2018 at 6:41am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Sandman's weakness, historically, has been his limited imagination, more than the way water, wind or fire can counter his powers. He makes himself into battering rams or smothering blankets of sand, then slithers away if the fight goes against him.

If he used his powers to the fullest, even the most powerful characters would have a hard time against him. He's one of those guys who could legitimately hold off a team of Avengers on his own, much like Absorbing Man. Heck, can you imagine Juggernaut trying to plow his way through shifting and slippery sand dunes?

On that basis, there are a LOT of heroes who should not go toe-to-toe with Sandman.

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 20 August 2018 at 8:33am

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2018 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Could a character with heat generating power like The
Human Torch not turn him to glass?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2018 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'd say it depends on how hot the Torch can get and how
fast he gets there. Otherwise, Sandman simply
extinguishes him.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2018 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Agree with Trevor. If he isn't distracted, Sandman can throw enough sand at Johnny to snuff out his flames.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 August 2018 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Sue could do the same thing she did to knock out the Hulk -- seal him in a forcefield bubble until he passed out from lack of oxygen.

Dr. Strange could take him out without even leaving his Sanctum Sanctorum.

Electro could turn him to glass, from a distance. So could Storm.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2018 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Saturate him with water and let Iceman freeze him. 

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 August 2018 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Sandman's weakness, historically, has been his limited imagination...

••

Roger Stern has noted that the Sandman seemed to get a lot smarter when he was with the Frightful Four. Rog suggests the Wizard was sneaking something into the mix to boost Sandman's intelligence. Only had short term effects, however.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2018 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I'd always craved an X-Men VS Sinister Six confrontation. For many reasons. Iceman VS Octopus! Cyclops VS Electro! Beast VS Sandman! Marvel Girl VS Vulture! Angel VS Kraven! Professor X VS Mysterio.

Place your bets!

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2018 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I like the idea that the Wizard wanted smarter teammates around him and would do something like that. It shores up what otherwise might be a weak link and makes the team stronger.

Those are interesting match ups, btw. I can see where even a smarter Sandman would have trouble with them. (Also supports the idea that Electro is underrated in terms of power--Max Dillon is more powerful than he knows, I think.)

And I'd really enjoy getting back to the days where you could see something like Robbie's suggestion. X-Men vs Sinister Six? I'd be down with that.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2018 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'm a big believer in "cross-pollination" as long as it's not overdone.

Let's see Cap caught mid-air against Vulture! Let's see Iron Man against Juggernaut! Let's have Kraven decide to hunt the Lizard! Or how about Thor VS Nightmare?!

Same with DC. Teen Titans VS Professor Zoom! Man-Bat VS Solomon Grundy! Batman and Robin VS Bloodsport! Or Aquaman VS Riddler!

Edited by Robbie Parry on 20 August 2018 at 11:28am

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |