Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: What’s the third most famous Superhero universe Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 21 September 2018 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The last Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie did not do well, and I think the title is fading from the well known property it was in the 1990s. I think this is now considered kid stuff and doesn't cross over like it did before to civilians.

And can we compare a single title like TMNT to all of Marvel and all of DC? A "universe" would be multiple characters in different titles and entities. I don't think anything compares for superheroes.

If we are counting a single title, it would have to go to THE INCREDIBLES - the sequel was a worldwide smash and renewed interest in the original.

Back to Top profile | search

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2018 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I had first thought of Space Ghost, then I discovered DC nabbed him in the 2000's.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2018 at 4:45pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Well if it keeps growing in popularity and becomes well known to the non comic book reading and non anime watching general public, my prediction is that the My Hero Academia Manga and Anime will become the 3rd most famous superhero universe.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2018 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The Incredibles.

Their latest movie has made over $600 million domestically.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2018 at 6:56pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Transformers

Valiant Universe?

One punch Man? 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2018 at 8:36pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Adam: Well, in Japan, I presume it's the Ultraman universe.

And the Kamen Rider franchise as well.

Paul Reis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2018 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Sailor Moon ?

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2018 at 9:12pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

To me, a universe suggests a commercial franchise, not just a story setting. So in terms of comics, TMNT, no, as I'm not aware of any successful TMNT spinoffs. Hellboy, yes, as Dark Horse regularly puts out spinoff titles in the Hellboy universe. 

As far as fame goes, you would have to measure that by the success in film. I don't think there are any superhero universes known to the public other than Marvel and DC's. Sony has big plans for Valiant's superheroes, with Vin Diesel playing Bloodshot. We'll see how that goes. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 21 September 2018 at 9:13pm

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2018 at 9:34pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Jack Bohn may be on to something with Naruto. Hugely popular with so many kids, teens, etc. Both the TV show and the manga. I can’t get my kids to read “regular” comics, but they ate Naruto up!

Michael Murphy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2018 at 10:10pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

If we are comparing the third most popular superhero universe to the Marvel and DC ones then they should be of a similar nature. For that reason I don't include anime or manga, they are generally too different. Maybe the TMNT but I don't know that they are traditional superheroes. Wildstorm has become irrelevant, so has Valiant. Maybe Robert Kirkman's Invincible universe? While it seems to has reached it's end it is still recent, encompasses many characters and titles. Hellboy is another. If Sony moves forward with it's Valiant movies or Netflix with Millar World then maybe they might take that place.

Edited by Michael Murphy on 21 September 2018 at 10:11pm

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2018 at 2:46am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I think most of the independent properties mentioned already (or that could be mentioned) are considered by most "their own thing."  Civilians see them as either single-concept universes or, equally, "they're all in the same reality" and could interact.  Only DC and Marvel have really made any headway (in recent years) making the general public understand that they are separate universes (and there's probably still a large percentage that are waiting for Batman to join the Avengers or Wolverine fight Wonder Woman).  (Who knows about the Japanese stuff.)

Dark Horse really looked like they were going to establish the third big universe for a while there, and they've had the next best amount of success getting their properties (or properties they publish at least) to the big screen, but Barb Wire, Timecop, Hellboy, the Mask, and whatever else are all unconnected.  And while the series for Ghost or X might be revived every so often, Dark Horse seems to have given up on its own world now.

Neal Adams' Continuity had some really distinct characters and I believe a new series is coming soon, but we can probably count them out for the foreseeable future.

ASTRO CITY also has some amazing characters, and over 100 issues is nothing to sneeze at.  Busiek could have done a whole line at one point, but I think the time for expansion has probably passed.

I'm going to go ahead and say--the Archie heroes!  They get revived every so often, sometimes with really good talent involved.  Characters like the Shield and the Black Hood have some real potential for comics and other media--and Archie seems TV savvy, especially lately.  (Maybe movies might show up, besides JOSIE AND THE PUSSYCATS, and I don't know why there aren't already animated shows.)  The Web and the Fox have possibilities too.  (Too bad they lost the Fly though.)  Unless somebody new shows up on the scene, I think the Archie super-hero universe has the best potential to be the 3rd universe and might already be the third most well-known.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 22 September 2018 at 2:51am

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2018 at 3:59am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

He-Man, perhaps? The Masters of the Universe universe
seems to have had some lasting power in the public
consciousness. The aforementioned Hellboy and Judge
Dredd are strong contenders as well.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |