Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5
Topic: Spider-Man A Horror Character? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2018 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

You both make valid points.

And I suppose, whilst not the same, we still watch cop and legal dramas. I can and do read police reports in the local media, and I could watch a court case from the public gallery, but I would still watch police and legal dramas.

I know that's different from superheroes, obviously. 
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2018 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Amazing Spider-Man Annual #11 ('70s) had a movie being filmed in Peter Parker's and Mary Jane Watson's neighborhood, and when something goes wrong with the actor in a spider monster costume Spider-Man is paid to take the stunt man's place. Then "the Spider-Squad" who are three similar spider monster types attack him. Not sure if the movie ever got finished.

Marvel actually published some one-shots of Marvels Comics where they are what might get published in the Marvel comics 'world'... Thor isn't really a god but a guy with a lot of gadgets to make him seem like a real Thor (readers wouldn't believe in a real ancient norse god existing), and Spider-Man and The X-Men are shown as menaces. The Fantastic Four comic boasts of being the only officially licensed comic by the real FF. I thought of picking them all up at one time but the covers put me off somehow, whereas the Flashback series minus #1s having those retro covers got me to buy even some of the most '90s excess style ones (now I've started on that  '90s DC 'Silver Age' run of 12 one-shots having gotten the Amagams I had any interest in).
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2018 at 3:43pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Of course, in TWO Fantastic Four Annuals, the FF were in movies. FF Annual #1 had Namor make an actual movie, so as not to how them off guard while he tried to destroy them; and the actual movie was released. And in FF Annual #12 (as memory serves), there was another FF movie, with a Farrah Fawcett type playing Sue Richards in a bikini type costume, and a giant Thing robot which (of course) ended up fighting the real Thing.

As for a Spider-Man movie... I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried to make a fictional film about him. I recall one or two movies in the real world about Bigfoot, and several fictionalized history movies and plays about real characters. Maybe even a musical about a president of the United States. I could see someone simply doing a Spider-Man treatment... after all, it's not as if Spidey were going to sue.

The in-universe comics were Marvels Comics.

Talking about motivations and about deep character analysis is okay, I suppose; heaven knows we do enough of it here. But it seems that some people are trying to make an awful lot of soup from just one bone. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2018 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Going back to the original thread topic, I think you can make some kind of argument that Spider-Man does have horror ingredients of the era in his make-up, but I don't think you can argue he is a horror character at all.

He is not a horror character disguised in the trappings of a superhero; he is simply a superhero.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |