Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Sports Talk
Topic: Terminology Off-Putting To Non-Fans? Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2018 at 10:56am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I've often wondered if some sporting terminology might be off-putting to those not familiar with sports - or those looking to follow a sport.

Terminology in something such as football (soccer) is pretty straightforward, I feel. A goal is a goal. A penalty kick is a penalty kick. Even if someone had never seen a football match in their life, I think the terminology is simple.

Can the likes of golf and tennis say the same?

I mean, are the likes of condor, birdie, under par and so much else accessible? As someone who has (briefly) played golf, and watches it, I have had one "civilian" ask me about those terms.

I don't really follow tennis, but the likes of deuce (isn't that a KISS song?), advantage and love might be off-putting to someone.

Okay, sport is for its fans. And, of course, people can Google the terms. In fact, I say with any sport, if coming to it for the first time, just watch it and you'll pick it up. I understand such terms are traditional. They are what they are. But, again, are they accessible to "civilians"?

This is a post about discussion, I'm not "staking a claim" to a particular viewpoint here, just throwing out questions for debate! 
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 September 2018 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I have a lot of trouble with the term “no hitter” in baseball.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2018 at 12:28am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Wow, this is my first ever post in the sports section as I am not a sports fan @ all (I came here to see if anyone had commented on the thuggery from last night & saw this topic instead)

I think it depends on the level of terminology needed.
Tennis doesn’t seem to have that much.
Baseball & American football seem to have a rediculous amount of terminology & I find both completely impenetrable.
Football & cricket, I grew up with so although they have a lot, I understand it & don’t notice it.

I also wonder if it depends on how much of that terminology has entered everyday situations as well? That, I think, might depend on location, as that would depend on which sports are being played.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 07 October 2018 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Coincidentally, I came upon THIS article today. It's a remarkable distillation of fanthink, much like what we see in comics and other activities.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2018 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Yes, I agree with that.

Seems like overthink dialled right up! 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |