Author

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 October 2018 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Idiot
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2018 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I don't think he'll be very successful, except among his most idiotic and hate-filled followers.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2018 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

This was an inevitable conservative move no matter which Republican may have ended up in office. But you can guarantee if Trump thinks he can get an applause line from it at one of his rallies, he'll run with it too the end.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2018 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Just when they can't go any lower or more despicable.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2018 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Just when they can't go any lower or more despicable.

The scary thing is that I don't think they've even gone as low as they can yet. There's much more to come. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jonathan A. Dowdell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2018 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Add this to the list of Trump pronouncements to fire up the base a few weeks before the mid-terms. 

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2018 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

this is really smart on the President's part. I haven't seen any polls on this, but
I would suspect his view is strong supported among his base and this comes
at a good time to distract people from the Saudi Arabia situation. Hate and
intolerance, his bread and butter.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2018 at 5:11pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Do most Americans accept that there can be more than two genders? I think that liberals are ahead of the country on this issue. Which is a good thing, of course. But also a political liability. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2018 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Let's just put a stop to these stupid pronouncements. Acknowledge that Donald Trump wants to be the first diktator of Amerika. Just imagine whatever he would have to do to shut down resentment and stop those nagging disagreeing voices. Assume he'll do whatever he feels necessary (or whatever he wants) to make this country a return to the good ol' white boys runnin' things, whuppin' slaves and rapin' whomever they want.

Now know that in the next two years, you'll see steps proceeding to that achievement on 45's part executed. You'll likely be right more than wrong.

We have to have change in two weeks. Or we're in real trouble. 

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2018 at 1:15am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Do most Americans accept that there are more than two genders?  I'd guess no from the videos I've seen and the people I've talked to.

I don't believe that there are.  I don't wish ill on those that think they are one way or another but from what I know of it, it's a disorder.  I don't understand why it is being treated differently than if someone thought they were Napoleon or any other type of delusion.

It seems that when the conversation is about gender it gets complicated but when the example is someone who identifies as a 6 year old who wants to wear diapers that it becomes less controversial.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 October 2018 at 3:57am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Human sexuality is a spectrum, but even as we accustom ourselves to that concept there are still plenty of people—most likely the majority—who think there are only two colors, two boxes on the form, M and F. The suggestion that it’s much more complex than that upsets some people, even frightens them.

That kind of fear—white male fear, basically—is what propelled Rump into the White House in the first place.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2018 at 4:17am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

QUOTE:
I don't believe that there are.  I don't wish ill on those that think they are one way or another but from what I know of it, it's a disorder.  I don't understand why it is being treated differently than if someone thought they were Napoleon or any other type of delusion.

Gender identity disorder was dropped from the DSM five years ago, much like homosexuality was depathologized in the 70s. The US psychiatry community does not treat transgenderism as a mental disorder. The new classification of gender dysphoria is not about transgenderism being a delusion, but distress over gender nonconformity.

QUOTE:
It seems that when the conversation is about gender it gets complicated but when the example is someone who identifies as a 6 year old who wants to wear diapers that it becomes less controversial.

Sure, because they are different things. If your genitals were removed, would you cease to identify as male? If that's not the case, then we can accept that gender identity is separate from one's genitals.

So if genitals are not what defines gender identity, then what does? X and Y chromosomes? I can point to intersex conditions like Complete Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome, where individuals with XY chromosomes don't respond to androgens, so they develop as females phenotypically with female external organs and female identities.

If gender identity can be disconnected from one's genitals and one's chromosomes, what determines it? Parents seem to believe that gender identity is innate and expressed early on when they talk about their young children, like how their 3-year-old daughter is a girly girl or their young son is such a typical boy. This is long before the sexual development of puberty or a social understanding of gender roles.

If gender identity exists at a young age, how does it develop? There's evidence that behaviors associated with boys or girls can be influenced by exposure to hormones in the prenatal environment. So would it really be farfetched if one's gender identity in the brain developed in a different direction from one's sexual organs?

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |