Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: 1st Batman bought and Oldest Batman owned Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2018 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

JB's thread re: his first Batman comic got me thinking ...

the 1st Batman comics i can distinctly remember purchasing on the stands (Greaves Pharmacy, Strathroy) was:

and the oldest Batman issue i ever had in my collection (may have been purchased at a flea market or traded with friends, or some other place other than comic stands) was:

if moderators don't mind (please delete this thread if it breaks a forum rule i have missed) post your 1st Batman purchased and/or the oldest Batman you ever had in your collection.

if this is allowed, let's limit it to just Batman/Detective/etc or something with a Batman story in it.

(if you need help triggering the memory ... GCDb )

Edited by Paul Reis on 21 October 2018 at 2:51pm
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2018 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Possibly the first Batman I bought (actually, my mother did);

Oldest one I own:

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 October 2018 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

You all know the first, the oldest is 13.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2018 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

First bought, Brave and the Bold #118
And thus began my love of Aparo (though I was not paying attention to names yet)!

Image result for brave and the bold 118

For the life of me I cannot bring the oldest issue back from my memory. I remember it had a 10 cent cover price.

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2018 at 4:34pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

My first was a gifted Batman #235, while my oldest is Batman #101.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2018 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

My first comic with Batman in it would've probably been Best of DC Digest #23, which included a reprint of To Kill A Legend from Detective Comics #500. First new Batman comic was likely Brave and the Bold #194 and first Batman/Detective would've been Detective #527.

My oldest is Batman #59 (since DC hasn't seemed interested in ever reprinting the first Deadshot story)

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2018 at 5:20pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Here's the first one I bought, a great issue by Len Wein and Jim Aparo, with the one-off(?) villain Sterling Silversmith breaking with the traditional deathtrap and just holding a gun to (tied to a chair) Batman's head.  Plus, a Hawkman back-up with the exceptional art team of Rich Buckler and Klaus Janson.  I got spoiled early.

And here's the oldest, bought when I was a teen.  I was aware that #327 was considered the first Earth-One Batman, so I considered this his #12.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 21 October 2018 at 5:26pm

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2018 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2018 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I think the oldest book with Batman that I bought was Justice League of America #67

And I believe the oldest book with Batman in it that I own is Brave and the Bold #29 (although that's harder to recall...)

Edited by Eric Sofer on 21 October 2018 at 5:41pm

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 October 2018 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

That second JLA was Mark Gruenwald’s all time favorite cover.

More significantly, tho, notice Wonder Woman’s utterly passive role on the first one! Decades later I still found myself fighting an unspoken policy demanding she be kept demure and lady like.

Steve Adelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2018 at 7:37pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

First one I purchased myself (although I no longer have it):

Oldest owned:

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2018 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Researching the question via the Grand Comics Database, apparently the earliest Batman comic I bought (or rather, had purchased for me) was an issue of World's Finest. Issue #217 with the pair defeated by Metamorpho looks familiar, but I can't be certain I didn't simply stare at the cover goggle-eyed in the store. I know I actually owned #226 (Nov-Dec. 1974) with Metamorpho as a doorknob and the Deadman reprint. The image of Deadman crouched beside a wire wastepaper basket watching his personal papers and effects burn (a circus travels light) has stayed with me all my life. I also have strong memories of the reprinted story of the Anti-Superman and Anti-Batman from the next issue. I definitely recognized the artist as the one who drew all my favorite stories. It was, of course, Curt Swan. 

Shortly after those purchases, I picked up the Limited Collector's Edition tabloid C-27 (Aug-Sep. 1975) with a Jim Aparo image of Batman seeing his foes projected in searchlight beams. Aparo was also making a definite impression on my young mind at the time. This would have been the first comic I bought just to discover more about Batman and the world in which he lived. The idea of finding out about four of his primary villains all at once was powerfully compelling.

Apparently the oldest Batman comic I've ever owned was a tattered copy of Batman #105 (Feb. 1957) featuring an early appearance by Batwoman, although I have also owned a copy of that "Ace, the Super-Bat-Hound" comic as well.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |