Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Team comics - one little change... Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2018 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I love team comics, and I love What Ifs, and just plain old speculation.

So give me some thoughts about one little change in any supergroup that you like - add a member or remove a member, and how you think it would change the book.

Marvel's done it in Exiles, but I want your thoughts. What happens if Wolverine is not in the New X-Men? Even consider real world changes - does the book get cancelled?

Or if Green Arrow had been in the Justice League of America from the start and it was a team of eight?

Maybe one of the biggest I've heard wished for - pick one of the latter team of X-Men, but remove Rachel Summers or Bishop or ANY of the time travelers. I'll bet THAT one's got some discussion!

Fire away, space sailors.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 October 2018 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

What happens if Wolverine is not in the New X-Men?

••

Hugh Jackman works at MacDonalds....

Laren Farmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2018 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The first thought I had when considering the question is Namor in the Avengers when the first roster change happened. 

Namor had been approached with a membership offer after all...and in this reality her accepts...joining Captain America, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. 

Now we ave another brash and arrogant hothead...but this one has a previous friendship with Cap.  Spending time with the group would no doubt jog both veterans' memories of their Invaders days...and possibly help Cap adjust better to the modern world. 

Namor being the charismatic lady-killer could also have an impact on Wanda...especially seeing as she caught his eye when Magneto first tried recruiting Namor into the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.  Quicksilver would probably try to be protective as usual...so yet another reason for the heroes to argue. 

So already we have an Avengers lineup that is much more powerful thanks to the Avenging Son's presence.  Less conflict between Namor and the Fantastic Four...and an earlier end to Namor's infatuation with Sue Storm if sparks fly with he and Wanda. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2018 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Spider-Man in the Defenders. The "non-team" aspect, and the fact it was usually made up of loners, might have suited him.

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2018 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Heather convinces Logan to stay in Canada and join Alpha Flight after Mac's death. Wolverine kills Sasquatch, preventing Snowbird from doing it and leaving the team at all. He also sees through Courtney's plan and is able to prevent her revenge, which means Smart Alec doesn't turn the bag inside out, which means the relationship between Michael and his daughter continues to heal, which means Shaman's confidence never wavers.....et al.

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2018 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Kitty Pryde as a founding member of the original New Mutants. Her experience with the X-Men making her the natural field team-leader/Head of the Class, willingly taking on the responsibility of helping out these kids who are in the position that she herself was not too long before.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2018 at 3:20pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Due to a licensing agreement, Superman is unavailable for the SUPERFRIENDS cartoon, and so (the original) Captain Marvel is used instead. Kids love him, and Cap's popularity rises to such heights that it surpasses Superman's! In fact, the hero is such a huge hit that Marvel (in a great show of courtesy between competitors) grants DC permission to use the character's name on the cover of comics and as the title of his first movie.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2018 at 3:29pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I can imagine the scenario of Superman being unavailable for Superfriends and using Cap as a replacement, but the part about Marvel being so "courteous" as to just let DC use the name is too fictional for me to accept.

Perhaps a more realistic scenario would just be if DC had managed to buy and trademark the name before Marvel did so?

Phillip L Lightfoot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2018 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The Beast returns to The X-Men, and Nightcrawler joins The Avengers. Would have worked for me.  

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2018 at 3:57pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Instead of Wonder Girl, Haney uses Supergirl in the Teen Titans. He follows his own path and ignores the age difference leading to endless fan speculation on who this younger Supergirl is. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2018 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Nice idea, Mike! 

I can picture that now. If there's an alternate earth where that happened, I want to be there!

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2018 at 4:09pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

First off, I'm enjoying all of these suggestions. These are all solid re-imaginings of the events. Well done, one and all.

Laren, rather than there being less tension between Namor and the FF, I would suggest that there be more between the FF and the Avengers. If Wanda does take up a romance with the imposing, temperamental Sub-Mariner (so much like Daddy*), Sue might see Namor as an opportunist and insincere in his declarations of affection towards her. Her anger at him could result in distrust of men in general and delay her marriage to Reed, which would alter the circumstances of Franklin's birth.

Thor would tend to share his volatile compatriot's righteous anger towards unjust attacks. The Hulk would likely not be pursued as intently by the Avengers since Namor himself was a destructive menace towards the surface world initially and would see the Hulk's point of view, however much he disliked him. The Hulk would trust the Avengers more and perhaps even work with the team on occasion, causing him to be seen as less of a monster in the eyes of the public, or on the other hand, cause the public to see the Avengers as a band of reckless, dangerous brutes. While Cap would try to mediate such conflicts between members, the FF, and the general public, having Namor and the Hulk around more often would make for a more unstable and tempestuous team, one which would not set a good example to such on-the-fence types as the Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, and Hawkeye. 

If Cap decides the Avengers are too loose a collection of cannons and decides to form his own team, one which better represents the ideals towards which he would want to see such a team strive towards, he might be surprised how few takers he has for his idea of a team comprised of America's Defenders. 

Sorry to get so carried away with your idea, Laren. I just really like that premise a lot. 

Do I have an idea of my own to offer? Um... not yet really. I did give some thought to the idea that the editors of the original Justice League took some chances in departing from the model of the Justice Society by conceiving the new team as a sort of sports-themed club rather than a more formal Society. If they'd hewed more closely to the original model, we might have had a second Justice Society, one of which the Hawkman might become Chairman Emeritus  once he was re-introduced in 1961. 

Although Superman and Batman were largely kept to the side originally anyway, here, without any leadership roles to assume, they might have been marginalized to an even greater degree and only participated in the New Society's adventures every now and again. 

With the number of differences between the two societies reduced, DC may have felt bringing back the original team unnecessary and we'd have lost the Earth-2 concept which also gave us Krona and the hand that birthed the DC Universe. While these ideas might have occurred to the creators eventually, without an Earth-2 structure to tie them into, the Crisis and all of its attendant idiocy would never have taken place, leaving the DCU a more stable place, creatively. 

Also, without their constant presence in the JLA, more attention might have been paid to Superman and Batman's adventures together in World's Finest Comics and that title could have become more of a heavy hitter, possibly birthing a Superman/Batman themed team of its own comprised of characters in their periphery such as Robin, Batgirl, Jimmy Olsen, and others. New ones might have developed as well, giving us different set-ups and origins for versions of characters like the Super-Sons, Nightwing, Flamebird, Power Girl, and the Huntress. 

* Not that she knew that at the time...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |