Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies << Prev Page of 42 Next >>
Topic: Avengers: Endgame ~ SPOILERS start Pg 7 Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2018 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

@Thomas

The MCU Thor seems to be an amalgam of a few different Thor characters...and a healthy dose of Chris Hemsworth to wrap it all up.

And EVERYONE in the MCU is in awe of Thor.  EVERYONE!

I think we see the funnier side of Thor because Hemsworth has fantastic comedic chops.  And directors know this and want to take advantage of it.   
Thor of the MCU is never anyoneís joke.  He can crack one or be a part of something funny just the same.  And when he has had enough of your shit he will kick as like a Thunder God should.  

Ask Thanos.  Thorís only mistake was wanting to see the look on Thanosí face when he killed him.  Thor swore to Thanos he would die for killing his friends.  He meant that shit.  It was apparent.  

Thor took a blast from the Gauntlet....blasted through it and buried his axe in Thanosí chest!  Had he gone for the head....well.  You know.

Thor is far from the joke of the MCU.  

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 08 December 2018 at 1:33pm
Back to Top profile | search

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 08 December 2018 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The trailer is wonderful up until the end - the comedic sequence goes on too long.  Itís a rare misstep in their trailers, and it evokes the issues I had with INFINITY WAR in that it is playing to the hardcore fans.  

I love both Ant Man movies, but Scott Lang doesnít fold easily into the Avengers for me.  CIVIL WAR was on the other night, and I love the movie so I stopped surfing onto it even though I have the film on the shelf!  The scene where Lang meets Captain America fell flatter than I remember.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2018 at 3:08pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Is this Thor based on the Ultimates version?

-----

No. Ultimate Thor was an environmental activist with a band of groupie hippies.

There were three Ultimates influences that I'm aware of in the Thor movies.

- People believing that Thor was delusional for claiming that he was the Norse god in the first movie.
- The sequence where Loki appears in illusion to Thor while he's being held in the SHIELD base camp was similar to a scene in the ULTIMATES.
- The design of Stormbreaker in INFINITY WAR is based on Ultimate Mjolnir.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2018 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

And thatís my only complaint. I wish Stormbreaker was the one Odin made for Beta Ray Bill in the comics. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 09 December 2018 at 3:49am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Tim O'Neill wrote:
The trailer is wonderful up until the end - the comedic sequence goes on too long.  Itís a rare misstep in their trailers, and it evokes the issues I had with INFINITY WAR in that it is playing to the hardcore fans.  

Not quite sure I get what you mean here.  You're saying that an issue you had with INFINITY WAR was that it played to hardcore fans?  But you know that was the plan, right?  A decade in the making, the hardcore fans are the movie audience not the comic fans...right?  So whom else would they play to but the millions (billions?) that made them the success that they are?

Regardless, I thought the Ant-Man coda was brilliant given where we left off with the character: miniaturized and essentially adrift. How did he return to normal and what information does he have that could turn the tide?  It's obviously key otherwise they wouldn't have included him in the trailer at all.  Humor, yes, but story driven as well.  Perfect to me.

QUOTE:
I love both Ant Man movies, but Scott Lang doesnít fold easily into the Avengers for me.  CIVIL WAR was on the other night, and I love the movie so I stopped surfing onto it even though I have the film on the shelf!  The scene where Lang meets Captain America fell flatter than I remember.

Couldn't disagree more if I tried.  I loved that moment.  Thought it was genuine and totally relatable given their hierarchy in the MU.

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security

Negative Mod

Posted: 09 December 2018 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

TAKE MY MONEY NOW!

Already booking the trip for opening weekend in LA.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 December 2018 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I appreciate the comedic bits in most of the MCU films. They prevent the movies from become too hyperserious and ponderous. (See: any of Zack Snyder's DECU movies.)

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 December 2018 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Can't wait - hits all the right beats for me for sure! 

Harold Walls
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2018 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I was not a fan of the humor in Ragnarok but I loved it in Infinity War.  I still crack up every time Thor calls Rocket rabbit.  I do miss Mjolnir, but the pirate-angel looked pretty powerful in the climax.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 10 December 2018 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Matt:  ďNot quite sure I get what you mean here.  You're saying that an issue you had with INFINITY WAR was that it played to hardcore fans?  But you know that was the plan, right?Ē

Yes, I see that was the plan.  I know I am in the minority on this, but I have issues with the team movies - I guess I just prefer the individual character movies.  There are elements of the Avengers films that just tip the balance for me and pull me out of the world they have created.

In general, I love the humor of the Marvel films, but itís got to be used sparingly.  Everything about the Scott Lang moment hinges on seeing the film, so it already has one strike against it.  Combine that with the length of the clip, and the moment falls flat.  Itís too long for a trailer and takes up a disproportionate amount of time for such a shift in tone.  

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2018 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

But that's the point, isn't it? After a minute and half of doom and gloom, they're reminding us it's not a DC movie, after all. Scott is a representation of hope for our heroes, however...small.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 10 December 2018 at 11:32am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2018 at 11:29pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Just saw the trailer, and that seemed fine. I didn't think the Paul Rudd stuff lasted any longer than it had to, and wasn't that far off in tone nearly as much as most of Ragnarok, which I liked and didn't like. The lack of an actual Valkyrie and the cheap cynicism of the one we got instead rubbed me the wrong way. I did not want to see that character redeemed. I wanted her to go down with the rest of the bad guys in that film. That everything was so ha-ha-hee-hee-oh-hey-all-of-Asgard's-dead-hyuk-hyuk-hyuk was an annoyance. Also a lost opportunity at a real character: Hela. Weird, because they cast an actress who could play her and then just let her sputter out as a Power Rangers villain. 

I don't see any of that in Rudd's request that they open the gate to someone they reasonably wouldn't recognize. I thought it worked.

Shame about Tony not having eaten for days. I'm pretty sure when he's rescued, though, that there'll be some Burger King product placement waiting for him...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 42 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |