Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Trek << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Ranking the Star Trek themes Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2019 at 8:42pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I have not an ounce of buyer’s regret from purchasing La-La-Land’s expensive megaset containing all of the complete TOS episode scores. Quite possibly the best and most comprehensive soundtrack release for any TV series, ever. Glorious.

The “Doomsday Machine” video also has me again thinking about how unfortunate it was that Kaplan only scored that episode and “The Enemy Within”, which is another favorite of mine. “The Enemy Within” has iconic cue after iconic cue, in no small part because those amazing cues were tracked all throughout the first season. SO good.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 16 March 2019 at 8:44pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member

Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 27 October 2020 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
Why are so many down on the ENTERPRISE theme? I’m no fan of the show, but I thought the song fit quite well.

I've been re-watching ENTERPRISE -- just an episode every day or every couple of days, not an all-out binge re-watch -- and I've been enjoying it quite a bit more than I did the first time(s) around . . . and I have to admit, I personally LOVE the opening, INCLUDING the theme. 

I remember when the series premiered, the opening scenes and the theme just resonated with me -- they did such a great job of chronicling our quest for space that the NASA geek in me couldn't help but love it.  And, for some reason, the music just resonated with me in an '80s hits kind of way, I just couldn't NOT love it.

Just my $0.02.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2020 at 5:21am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I've mentioned this years ago but my friend and I were watching the pilot on TV, back when it first aired. We thought the opening scene was pretty good to that point until the music started. I thought it was ok and I liked the mosaic scene. My friend got up and walked out of the room when the music ended. I asked him what he was doing.

"That's not Star Trek."

As far as I know, he has never watched an episode. 

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 28 October 2020 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Hm. I'd say "The Cage" was more STAR TREK than a lot of episodes that came after!
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2020 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I like the theme to DISCOVERY quite a bit, as it samples liberally from the TOS theme. The opening animations are interesting too, and change to fit the arc of the season.
Overall, my ranking would be:

TOS
DISCOVERY
VOYAGER
TNG
DS9
ENTERPRISE

As for the animateds, I like the TOS cartoon just slightly better than LOWER DECKS but both are pretty good.
Back to Top profile | search

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |