Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Music MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Music Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Soundgarden Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 3:00pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Been listening to their albums again. I really miss them. I really miss Chris Cornell. The best of the "grunge" bands, IMO. (They were really a heavy metal band sans "evil," "demonic" B.S. With a lot of "suicide poetry" lyrics.)

Who else feels like I do?
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 3:21pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I dug Soundgarden quite a bit. I thought Chris Cornell
had the best rock voice I had heard in years.

I saw Cornell live three times, twice solo and once with
a reunited Soundgarden (on a tour with Nine Inch Nails).
He always sounded excellent!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 5:23pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Soundgarden was really the only grunge band I actually liked. `Spoonman' is my favorite song by them, closely followed by `Outshined', but I'm pretty much a fan of everything I've heard by them.

Chris Cornell was a great musician, period. Whether it was with Soundgarden, Audioslave, Temple of the Dog, or solo. The only thing I didn't like was his cover of `Billie Jean', because it just didn't work for me as a slowed down, bluesy song.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Still one of my top five bands. Their last album, King Animal was one of the few reunion albums that is up to par with the rest of their stuff. 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2019 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Agreed, Brian.

There's lots of footage of Soundgarden concerts on YouTube. It's great.

Matt Cameron is one of the best drummers I've ever heard. I can't think of a better living rock drummer, honestly. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2019 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Heís a beast. 

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2019 at 11:33pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I must have played BadMotorfinger a million times 

Soundgarden was "my" band" then Superunknown came out
and they blew up and I couldn't turn a radio on without hearing Spoonman or Black hole sun.  Personally I hate both songs. 

I did love me Audioslave Temple of the Dog and their first 3 albums.  I never listened to any solo stuff besides the little that got radio play. I would have to check to see if he had any on the Singles soundtrack.  I played the shit out of that as well.. 

Badmotorfinger and Dirt were major shifts in my musical journey.   Years and years later discovering Live on the Muddy Banks (I had no idea it was ever released) made me appreciate Nirvana far more.

Chris died about twenty minutes from where I am living I still think about him when I go thru the city.  

Edited by John Harrison on 06 April 2019 at 11:34pm

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2019 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

He did. Seasons was on the Singles soundtrack. The band had Birth Ritual on there. 

I listened to Down on the Upside and King Animal while I mowed the yard yesterday. Incredible. I hope the band releases at least what was completed on the new album before Chris passed. 

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2019 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It wasn't till I saw Pearl Jam 20 that I found out all of the behind stuff on mother love bone that I felt like I knew Chris Cornell outside of his music.  Till that point I really didn't know why he was on Temple of the Dog.  I really didn't know the story.  Then like most things found mother love bone years after the fact.  

I loved the soundtrack on Singles but the movie hasn't aged well.  I should dig that soundtrack out its buried on one of my hard drives

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2019 at 6:52pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Better yet, you should get the deluxe edition of the soundtrack that came out last year. Itís got all of Cornellís tunes that he did for the movie and much more. Well worth the purchase if youíre into the soundtrack. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2019 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

God, I love Soundgarden. 

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2019 at 9:22pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The funny thing for me since I was sheltered as a child from all types of music ( you know it's all satanic) I didn't get that what I was hearing was birthed in punk.  When "grudge" broke all i knew it was different I didn't understand half of the lyrics but this was something beyond what I knew as music.  

I remember hearing Even Flow and Outshined around the same time on a independent radio station and it just stuck in my head.  Me and cousin who had more musical knowledge than me both worked the same job both were wtf is this and back then you had to wait for the song to end hope the DJ told you and then it was off to Harmony House to get a cassette.  Yes, I'm old.

I believe I bought badmotorfinger first then Ten.  I know the same cousin gave me Nevermind and some Danzig.  But no one really seemed to be into Soundgarden  till years later   

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |