Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Star Trek << Prev Page of 2
Topic: What We Left Behind---the DS9 doc Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2019 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The theater wasn't exactly packed but it was nice to see a Trek documentary playing on the big screen and based on their reactions, the crowd seemed to like it. 

----------------------
My theater wasn't sold out either, but I was still impressed at how big a crowd it was. Very into it, as well.

I think the biggest laugh was a series of clips of various Trek starships from TV and movies whooshing across the screen at high speed followed by a smash cut to DS9 just still in space.
Back to Top profile | search

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2019 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

August is such a long time away ... glad to hear it was so enjoyed.

Thanks for the info guys

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2019 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I finally got to see it 

Love letter to the series and fun I'm guessing since at one point it was crowdfunded thats why their were so many the fan interviews? Tho the little girl was rather cute ...my favorite episode is the last ten. I'm still not sure why he had them read the hate mail.  

The minute or three of current politics seemed unnecessary

I would love a podcast by Ira long deep conversations about the show there was way to much too cover 

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2019 at 8:52pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The film was crowdfunded so Ira and the gang really wanted to make sure that the fans had a voice in the making of it which led to them taking a booth to a few conventions to interview fans about DS9 and what it meant to them.

The hate mail thing was to illustrate a few points while having fun doing it in the "Celebrities read mean tweets" style that they do on Kimmel. First, it was to illustrate how DS9 wasn't fully appreciated in it's time and second, to show that some things never change. Think about how the current Trek stuff is talked about online and contrast it with the comments in those emails and you see a lot of overlap. 

The mention of current politics was necessary as the show often dealt with some pretty gray areas and the Past Tense two parter about the sanctuary districts & Bell riots in the early 21st century seem pretty relevant in political climate of today. It was a matter of demonstrating both how the show was ahead of it's time while also showing that we as a species have moved further away from the philosophies that Gene was trying to share with us.

A podcast with Ira would be a fantastic idea since the documentary could only scratch the surface of the show and they had to leave a lot of things out.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2019 at 2:20am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

But did they interview J. Michael Straczynski on the origins of the show?

(I'm only half-joking)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |