Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies << Prev Page of 2
Topic: The X-MEN Films That Never Were. Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2019 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Yeesh.  Would your take have increased if the film went into production and was a box office success with merchandising?
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 June 2019 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Amusing Side Note:

When DC introduced royalties, forcing Marvel to do the same,* there was a resistance to that word from Marvel's bean counters and lawyers. They didn't like the implied ownership of a royalty payment, so they insisted they were to be called "incentive payments". The money, you see, was to encourage us to work harder and do better, and so earn more.

When I got my first "incentive" check for CLASSIC X-MEN I called Shooter and promised him I would work harder to make the next issue better!

(For those who don't recall or never knew, CLASSIC X-MEN was a reprint book.)

-----------------

* DC books were not selling nearly as well as Marvel, so they could play Lady Bountiful knowing their cash outlay would actually be quite small.

Back to Top profile | search

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2019 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

When I got my first "incentive" check for CLASSIC X-MEN I called Shooter and promised him I would work harder to make the next issue better!

Oh, I must wonder what Shooter's reaction was. 

Anyway...I have the feeling that the MCU version of the X-Men, whenever it appears, won't be called "X-Men." I think there was a line in "Dark Phoenix" -- or maybe in a recent X-Men comic -- that the name was "wrong" because there were so many women on the team.

UNCANNY X-MEN is ending and being replaced with two comics that don't have "X-Men" in their title.

So, look forward to "The Mutants" coming out in 2024 or whenever. 

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2019 at 2:22am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Iím betting that Kevin Feige knows people have wanted to see ĎThe X-Mení in the MCU....and he wonít screw around with the brand by calling them something else.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2019 at 6:34am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

UNCANNY X-MEN is ending and being replaced with two comics that don't have "X-Men" in their title.

I thought those were just miniseries that will lead to Hickman's new X-Men book. Of course, if that's not the case I can't say that I'd be shocked.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 14 June 2019 at 6:34am

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2019 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Shawn -- that wasn't my understanding, but I could be wrong. I'm not buying either of those series regardless. 

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2019 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
...there is simultaneously the danger that writers will be faithful to only their own material, and that they will take the opportunity to bring in elements which, for various reasons, they were not able to do in the books.

Fair point, but the Lucasian risks of an original creator altering their creation and diminishing it in the process seem far less, to me, than some Hollywood scriptwriter churning out a formulaic treatment with only surface resemblance to the story.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |