Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Banana Splits Movie Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2019 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

This R rated take on the Banana Splits is yet another case of selfish naval gazing adults taking something that was originally created for and aimed at kids (which themselves most likely watched and enjoyed as kids) and turning it into something that ONLY they and like minded selfish adults can enjoy.
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2019 at 4:22pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I must admit, when I took a look at the trailer for the movie it did kind of tickle my funny-bone. Mind you, though, the Banana Splits themselves were always my least favourite part of the show, I much preferred the cartoons and Danger Island segments.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2019 at 10:40pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Me too, Andrew.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 16 June 2019 at 3:48am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

No nostalgia for this series.  Although in the same timeframe as other Sid & Marty Kroft series I enjoyed as a kid in the 70s, I have practically zero recall of it.  That doesn't mean that I can't feel for those who have fond memories of it and hate seeing it literally turned into a butcher show, I just can't muster up the angst necessary to rail against it.  Low recognition IP turned into a straight-to-digital release soon to be forgotten (if it was ever really recognized by the majority in the first place).  Sigh...I guess?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2019 at 5:45am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

This R rated take on the Banana Splits is yet another case of selfish naval gazing adults taking something that was originally created for and aimed at kids (which themselves most likely watched and enjoyed as kids) and turning it into something that ONLY they and like minded selfish adults can enjoy.

Let me be clear: This take shits on the fans of the original show, and I feel bad for them. 

That being said, we are talking about a short-lived late 60s kids show that has been mostly forgotten beyond its catchy theme song. As an 80s kid, it already felt weird and outdated back when I would sometimes spot it in syndication. Very few children today, if any, would know what these characters are.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2019 at 6:28am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Watched it daily in the early seventies on the local UHF station, because, well I was a kid and we had limited choices. I'm with Andrew, the Splits were the least favorite parts.
I have a memory of thinking one of the Splits reminded me of Shemp, from The Three Stooges.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2019 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I too watched it in the seventies on a local station with limited choice, and the Splits were never more to me than a freaky bunch of characters with a catchy tune.

If the studios only contemptuously plundered high recognition but (arguably) low value properties this way, I'd agree, it wouldn't be cause for major concern. But I think we know that's not the case...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2019 at 11:32pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The only Saturday morning television remake that I find truly inspired is the Wacky Races Peugeot commercial from a few years back.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2019 at 12:17am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Yes, that was brilliant Robert!

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2019 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The Wacky Racers Peugeot ad was really well done. 

I really dig this one, too--might be one of the most faithful cartoon-to-live-action translations of anything I've ever seen: LINK

Hoping for Blue Falcon next! 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |