Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: BOOKSMART Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 16 June 2019 at 4:04am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Saw this today.  Can't recommend it enough.  It's Olivia Wilde's directorial debut and it's fantastic.  Some will, rightly, compare it to SUPERBAD in its structure, but it's so much more than that.  It's at times funny, crude, heartfelt and compelling.  Filled with a cast of mainly unknowns (the biggest "name" in a starring role being Kaitlyn Dever of JUSTIFIED and LAST MAN STANDING fame), it shines as an honest portrait of the last day of high school and the realization that what you think of your classmates may not actually be true. This isn't a paint-by-numbers coming of age story, but an honest examination of what it's like to be 18 and all that comes with the transition between high school and real life.  

I can't recommend it enough.  Soon to be out of theatres because it's an indie, look for it on cable or however you consume your entertainment.  I guarantee you that this will achieve cult status in no time flat.  It's just THAT good.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 16 June 2019 at 5:56am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Is anybody else bothered by the way the poster art slims down Beanie Feldstein considerably? Isn't that its own kind of "body shaming"?

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2019 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It's for a good cause JB: to make money!

Matt Reed wrote:
Some will, rightly, compare it to SUPERBAD in its structure, but it's so much more than that.

I saw a slightly different Trailer to the one you posted Matt, so sadly, my Spider-sense is screaming that it's largely a #metoo-era cash-in version of Superbad, given that, by pure chance, it stars the sister of the star of Superbad, with promotional material that proudly encourages comparisons to Superbad:

It seems to deliberately want to outdo the "inane coolness" of the first movie. I'm not sure how you saw it as an honest look at the last day of high school - you must have gone to a seriously wild high school Matt :)

Jibes aside, I'll give it a chance, but it does irk me somewhat when the popular conception of "female empowerment" is that women should outdo men in boorish behavior.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 16 June 2019 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Don't knock it 'til you try it.  It's so much more than "boorish behavior" and the honest look comes through in the quieter moments of which there are many.  Trust that the marketing for the film didn't come via the producers, director or actors involved.  Gotta judge it on its own merits.  

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2019 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I wonder if this is still at the theater across the street
from me?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2019 at 4:30pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Ok Matt, Ill give it a go!

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2019 at 5:36pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I guess maybe I'm an easy pitch, but I saw an interview
with Olivia Wilde in front of the new Godzilla, and her
enthusiasm alone pretty much sold me on it.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2019 at 7:13pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

One day Hollywood might actually make a movie about teenagers in highschool that are not 20-something actors. I see 16-18 year old kids every day and none look and act remotely like the stereotypical Hollywood highschool student. 

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 June 2019 at 5:48am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

One day Hollywood might actually make a movie about teenagers in highschool that are not 20-something actors. I see 16-18 year old kids every day and none look and act remotely like the stereotypical Hollywood highschool student.

Years ago the 18 year old daughter of one of my gal pals asked if I could make copies of the VHS "yearbook" she'd put together for her graduating class. I did, and it was a lurch to see real teenagers!

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2019 at 6:18am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Not to tangent too much, but I'd would love to see an actual teenager cast as Spider-Man!

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2019 at 7:38am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Trailer looks good to me! I'm in. 

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2019 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Crazy good. I'd even say it's better, smarter than Superbad.

It also made me feel really old, but in a good way. I'm in my mid-thirties and these high-school kids are so, so much different from how "we" were it's insane. 

But I think they're better in many ways, more tolerant, smart and empathetic. It's just a teenage movie but it made me feel optimistic about the future.

Also, the soundtrack is a killer!

Edited by Rodrigo castellanos on 18 June 2019 at 10:19am

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |