Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies << Prev Page of 2
Topic: BOOKSMART Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2019 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

But I think they're better in many ways, more tolerant, smart and empathetic. It's just a teenage movie but it made me feel optimistic about the future.

Yes. I feel the same way. 

I have two kids that went to high school in Southern California and are now both attending college there. They are far more tolerant and inclusive than my generation was (I'm 47) and they've taught me a hell of a lot. 

It's sad that they also have to go through their awkward years in the Age of the Internet. I can say with all honesty that I could've very well become one of those lost to suicide had some of the torment and ridicule I suffered been immortalized on YouTube or shoved in my face 24/7 via meme or GIF. 

Sorry...didn't mean to be a downer. Train of thought went off the tracks! Gonna try to see this over the weekend. If not, it's definitely getting a home viewing.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 19 June 2019 at 12:11am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Neil Lindholm wrote:
One day Hollywood might actually make a movie about teenagers in highschool that are not 20-something actors. I see 16-18 year old kids every day and none look and act remotely like the stereotypical Hollywood highschool student.

And one day maybe American law will be that you can hire a 16 year old kid to work a 14 hour day six days a week.  

Let's be honest: The actors in this film are, on average, 23 years old.   They're literally just five years older than the parts they're being asked to play.  Five years.  Has that ever been a consideration in theatre?  Has it ever been a job definer for any other artistic expression?  That you must be the age your role actually is to get the part?  Never.  And it shouldn't.  And so it's silly to demand that of this or any other film. 

Spit on "Hollywood" all you want, it's how the arts has always been expressed. 
Back to Top profile | search

Jason G. Michalski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2019 at 3:52pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Matt, I agree with you a 100%. 

I have only one exception and it's this dude from Christine. He never convinced me that he was supposed to be in a high school shop class! :) 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |