onto the game - it had somehow managed to slip under my
radar!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2019 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
Ripley becomes “Ellen”? Boo!

I believe the reason for that is because the protagonist in the main part of Alien: Isolation is Ellen Ripley's daughter Amanda Ripley, so they couldn't use the generic "Ripley" anymore.

Trevor Smith wrote:
Isolation is also available on PS3/4, Xbox 360/One, and coming to the Switch this year. Thanks for putting me onto the game - it had somehow managed to slip under my radar!

It's a great game but it didn't sell well apparently, so it must've slipped under the radar for a lot of people. Slip on a pair of headphones, sit in front of your screen playing it, and the immersion and tension is something no YouTube video can capture. Sorry that I didn't list the other platforms, I wasn't sure if it was the same game on the consoles.

I just saw that a version of it also came out this year on iOS and Android for phones/tablets called Alien Blackout, but it has mixed reviews. I haven't tried it yet.

Just to end this post on another stray thought, I was in the mood to watch an Alien-related movie last night, and having seen the original film too many times, I decided to dust off my Alien vs. Predator Blu-ray - don't judge me, it and AvP2 (a.k.a. Alien vs. Predator: Teen Party) came as part of my "Predator Quadrilogy" boxed set I purchased back in 2010 as a convenient way to obtain the first two Predator movies on BD.

In light of what Ridley Scott has done to the franchise since then, I have to say that AvP1 isn't as bad as I remembered. It does mangle the xenomorph life cycle as well as the Predator mythology, but I did enjoy it, especially the titular combat scenes.

Still, none of it is really the spiritual successor to Alien, which I think is best considered a standalone movie.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 24 June 2019 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I believe the reason for that is because the protagonist in the main part of Alien: Isolation is Ellen Ripley's daughter Amanda Ripley, so they couldn't use the generic "Ripley" anymore.

•••

So why not use “Amanda”?

Back to Top profile | search

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2019 at 9:32pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Maybe I've confused things a bit by not providing enough info. In Alien Isolation, the main game is based on playing a character called Amanda Ripley-McLaren, Ellen Ripley's daughter (derived from the movie Aliens). In the game story, Amanda is a Weyland-Yutani engineer who is sent to Sevastopol Station, where the Nostromo's flight logs are supposed to be located.

However, the footage I posted is from one of the game modes called "Crew Expendable", where you can play as one of the original Alien crew members, and the Ellen in that footage is meant to be the Ellen Ripley from the first movie.

And now I can't work out who should be called what either!

EDIT: One last tangent if I may... if you want to simulate the iconic motion tracker from the movie Aliens, there's an app for that! Video of the iPhone version here, app shown is the iOS version, there's a similar Android version too :)

Edited by Koroush Ghazi on 24 June 2019 at 10:16pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 June 2019 at 6:55am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

And now I can't work out who should be called what either!

••

Sigourney Weaver's character has first claim.

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 June 2019 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The introduction of Ripley's dead daughter, in ALIENS, added some pathos, but cast her as an irresponsible parent. One who leaves her daughter behind for who knows how many years.

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 June 2019 at 7:35pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

IT, THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE, which some claim heavily influence ALIEN, is on YouTube, albeit chopped into chapters.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 25 June 2019 at 8:24pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Koroush Ghazi wrote:
I was in the mood to watch an Alien-related movie last night, and having seen the original film too many times, I decided to dust off my Alien vs. Predator Blu-ray - don't judge me, it and AvP2 (a.k.a. Alien vs. Predator: Teen Party) came as part of my "Predator Quadrilogy" boxed set I purchased back in 2010 as a convenient way to obtain the first two Predator movies on BD. 

In light of what Ridley Scott has done to the franchise since then, I have to say that AvP1 isn't as bad as I remembered. It does mangle the xenomorph life cycle as well as the Predator mythology, but I did enjoy it, especially the titular combat scenes.

Trust me, I won't judge!  AvP is one of my favorite follow-up films.  ALIENS is fantastic, no doubt, but AvP carries so much baggage with so many fans that I always feel the need to stick up for it.  I think it's a really good film.  The sequel?  Not so much (only own it because is was cheaper to buy a two pack with it included than AvP alone).  But it fits the narrative of the universe, works within the context of the Alien and Predator as we know them, and skillfully interweaves their story into a compelling film that just makes sense when combining universes.  I've seen it 50 times if I've seen it once and have been on record many times here defending its existence.  

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2019 at 9:30pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I've mentioned once before:

I couldn't stand AVP for the longest time, and could only attempt to watch it in bits & pieces... it just didn't seem to fit well when viewed along with the twin triumphs of ALIEN and ALIENS.  Then I realized I was watching it all wrong...

It's shouldn't be viewed as another attempt at an A-list ALIEN film... it should be watched as another B-movie PREDATOR entry, that just happens to guest-star the Aliens!

Problem solved for me, and it's MUCH easier to take!

Edited by Shaun Barry on 25 June 2019 at 9:31pm

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 25 June 2019 at 11:09pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Love this poster.  Have it framed and hanging on my living room wall. Hard to believe it's been 15 years this August since it was released.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2019 at 11:23pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

For me, there are three Alien movies I watch - Alien, Aliens & AVP - the rest just don’t exist. AVP has only one thing that bugs me (forgetting they are in the cold @ the end), & one that doesn’t bother me (shortened gestation times).
I think the rest is a good entry to the Alien & Predator films.

AVP: shopping mall invasion certainly doesn’t exist to me. But then, neither do the other Alien films
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |