Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2019 at 3:43pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Yuck
Back to Top profile | search

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2019 at 7:07pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It kinda makes sense in that this appears to be for an adaptation of a teen detective series called Enola Holmes, featuring the younger, more brilliant sister of Sherlock Holmes. Note: the original Sherlock Holmes character did not have a sister, only a brother named Mycroft.

Because creating an entirely new, intelligent, independent female character is too hard, so let's just have one who rides on the coattails of an existing famous creation.

Not a problem for me; these bastardizations do not exist in my world. Jeremy Brett's brilliant version will forever be the only live adaptation of Sherlock Holmes I accept :)
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 28 June 2019 at 7:42pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Mary Sue, Mary Sue,

Why do you do what you do?

Oh, Mary, oh Mary Sue...

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 June 2019 at 10:04pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

So I have too much time on my hands, and I made the mistake of looking into this Enola Holmes crap more closely.

"Outsmarting the world's greatest sleuth". At age 14 she's outsmarting a brilliant, highly experienced, well-researched detective... how is that in any way implausible or Mary Sue-ish? Oh, and Sherlock and Mycroft, and even Watson, are portrayed as either callous, incompetent or both - take that you legendary male characters!

I also draw your attention to the cliche-ridden endorsement at the bottom of the cover by none other than famous teen actress Millie Bobby Brown. 'Nuff said!

If you have any knowledge or love of Sherlock Holmes, do yourself a favour and don't read this ridiculous interview with the author Nancy Springer, sprinkled with idiotic gems like:

QUOTE:
But Enola’s most audacious camouflage is in some ways the most heartbreaking: The girl, whose features resemble most closely her brother Sherlock’s hawklike visage and describes her own body as stick-figure, transforms herself into a beauty.

How refreshingly original and empowering, an ugly girl who becomes pretty!

BONUS: If you love the story of Robin Hood, Nancy Springer has your daughter's needs covered: Rowan Hood: Outlaw Girl of Sherwood Forest.

And they used to say comics were dangerous garbage for young minds.... I weep for our youth.

I think this counts as my rant for today!

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2019 at 1:28am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

And they used to say comics were dangerous garbage for young minds.... I weep for our youth.

——

When I was a kid, we had stuff like YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES and JAMES BOND JR. I don’t find Sherlock Holmes’ crime-solving teenaged sister any more offensive than those. I mean, by all means, feel free to be critical of pastiche fiction, but don’t go all Grandpa Simpson and pretend it’s a new phenomenon.

Speaking of comics, IDW has published some graphic novel adaptations of the Enola Holmes books. 

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2019 at 1:57am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

“Conan Doyle did me a tremendous favor by being a misogynist,” muses Springer.

==================

Presumably he was a "misogynist" because he didn't write about Enola in the first place. But then who would she leech off?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2019 at 2:41am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I have no patience for parasitic fiction that begins with the premise that the property the person typing is about to eviscerate for their personal profit was "wrong" and that they have arrived to tell us all the terrible truth about what "really" happened in stories they themselves could never have conceived nor written. It's a sad state of affairs that there is a thriving sub-genre built around these things nowadays and that so much of it is steeped in a sort of political correctness that is consciously designed to be more off-putting than inclusive. 

That being said, literary vultures have been with us from the beginning, in one form or another. Thieves, pickpockets, slanderers, and profiteers with personal axes to grind are everywhere, and genuinely imaginative work is hard to find no matter where you look.  It's hardly clever to be the 453rd "Wicked" copy on the bookshelf, but some folks may think it an actual achievement. And it does beat having to actually write something.

This sort of fanfic-writ-small clearly has an audience, and respect really isn't what anybody is about anymore. The days of the gifted apprentice learning from the surly beekeeper are over and done. Puh-lease. Why, tell me, why would a woman owe that patriarchal piece of sh*t ANY-thing? F*ck him and his bees. Today, we're just going to tweak his nose, kick him in the shins, rip off his legacy, and laugh, because, as a fictional character, he's an easy target. It doesn't reflect well on anyone involved, but hey, money. So money. And money. 

Think I could write a book about Sherlock Holmes's twisted, jealous little self-righteous brat of a sister, we'll call her "Enobla," and have her just trip and fall on her face with every effort she makes to outshine her brother? I mean, I could, but who wants to be that petty and small-minded? Aside from the people involved in this project, that is.

Edited by Brian Hague on 29 June 2019 at 2:53am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 29 June 2019 at 4:55am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Didn’t THE BEEKEEPER’S ASSISTANT already cover this territory?

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2019 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Michael Roberts wrote:
When I was a kid, we had stuff like YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES and JAMES BOND JR. I don’t find Sherlock Holmes’ crime-solving teenaged sister any more offensive than those. I mean, by all means, feel free to be critical of pastiche fiction, but don’t go all Grandpa Simpson and pretend it’s a new phenomenon.

Yeah fair enough, I did go a bit heavy on the indignant rage when I wrote that. Looking back, I need to dial it down a bit in general :)

But keep in mind that Young Sherlock Holmes, Young Indiana Jones, Old Batman, etc. are meant to be the same character; they're not entirely new characters who simultaneously outdo and belittle existing original characters - effective getting a boost from their profile while also crapping on them.

Brian put it better than me, but basically this is all in aid of politically correct pandering, or faux "empowerment". Now an original female character who is not necessarily "beautiful" by magazine standards, but who works to nurture her intellect and abilities, and then outdoes her contemporaries - that would be something to see.

As an aside: I would love to see everyone who parrots mindless slogans like "You can do anything if you put your mind to it!" rounded up and forced off a tall building without a parachute. Let's see them land gently purely through the use of willpower. Oh sorry, I promised to tone it down ;)

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 29 June 2019 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

But keep in mind that Young Sherlock Holmes, Young Indiana Jones, Old Batman, etc. are meant to be the same character; they're not entirely new characters who simultaneously outdo and belittle existing original characters - effective getting a boost from their profile while also crapping on them.

•••

This.

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2019 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I want the Zac Efron Holmes.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |