Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies << Prev Page of 6
Topic: Oh for Pete’s Sake!!! Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2019 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

For all the Sturm und Drang over the "Peter tingle", I think the movie had the best depiction of Peter's Spider-Sense (in a villain fight that was most like the comics, with Mysterio) in any media. No gimmicky "bullet time" scenes with audio/visual cues for Spider-Man's Spider-Sense. The audience sees what Spider-Man's opponent would see: Spider-Man responding preternaturally fast to threats, often without looking. And the film trusted the audience knows Spider-Man well-enough by now that they would just get that.

The "Peter tingle" is a relatable cringey mom joke and is not meant to be an actual renaming of Spider-Man's powers. I think the bigger issue there is that Aunt May knows Peter's secret identity, so she's in a position to be a cringey mom in the first place.
Back to Top profile | search

DW Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2019 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Doesn't pretty much everybody know Peter's secret identity now?

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 07 July 2019 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Peter's identity reveal is a cliffhanger moment in the
final moments of the film - we don't know if he will be
known or if the public dismisses that this teen is an
Avenger. I predict the latter.

The "Peter Tingle" is funny in the context of of the film -
it's a teen rite of passage that a mother or mother figure
will cutesify something serious about ourselves. Peter
doesn't seem to like it, but it's a small part of the
mosaic of humiliations his character experiences.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2019 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Peter's identity reveal is a cliffhanger moment in the 
final moments of the film - we don't know if he will be 
known or if the public dismisses that this teen is an 
Avenger. I predict the latter.

------

Since Marvel seems to want to keep Spider-Man in the "coming-of-age teen comedy" genre, I predict the latter as well. Don't see how they'd keep Peter a normal high school student otherwise.

What the cliffhanger does do is devalue the info of those holding on to Spider-Man's identity and introduces the "Menace or Hero" aspect that has been missing up to this point.

I immediately thought of this during that scene.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2019 at 2:07pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"What the cliffhanger does do is devalue the info of those holding on to Spider-Man's identity..."

My mind stayed in the MCU and shot to the Vulture sitting in prison despondent over his future scheme being ruined.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2019 at 5:24am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

re: the cover to ASM #12, and the story associated with it.

It seemed fairly simple for anyone to put on a fake/homemade/store bought Spider-man costume and imitate the web slinger in those days -- and thus easier to cover up an accidental identity reveal on Peter's part.   How many times has the fake-costume-or-duplicate Spider-man thing been done?

Lots.

ASM #5, ASM #12, Mysterio then does it in ASM #13 -- the very next issue.   That's just in the first 20 Lee/Ditko issues, and I didn't even mention the fake robot from his Avengers appearance..

Now, with Spider-man having a high-tech Stark suit that you can't make in your basement or buy in a costume shop it's a hell of a lot harder for Peter to wave away that he was just goofing around playing Spider-man.   It's harder for the public to write that off.  

Just one of the reasons why I tend to dislike the high-teching of Spider-man's costume -- in particular when they want him to have the high tech stuff from the start.   They love to show the shitty homemade/wrestling costume and then jump to the 'good stuff' right away.   This is a problem with almost all modern depictions of Spider-man -- they want to do stuff like introduce Venom so early in the story they forget that the character of Venom works a lot better if Peter has been Spider-man for years.   The story of Spider-man needs to slow down and breathe a bit -- something that's really hard to do when you need to get your story across in three installments under two hours.  
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 6
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |