Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 30 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN ELSEWHEN 02 - Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2019 at 7:15am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I've always loved the way you've drawn Logan (meaning maskless Wolverine - I love your masked Wolverine, too so it was a tough choice deciding which version I wanted in commissions!), so these latest pages are a real treat - and it's our first true peek at how you would handle him having full control. And it's always nice to see a humorous scene that's actually in-character.

Also loved the 139-140 reference. I've been wondering if you'd ever given thought to re-scripting those issues since you were the full plotter (in the form of handy cut-out speech balloons and captions!).

Back to Top profile | search

Philippe Pinoli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2019 at 7:17am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Two pages to get the full body brawl...JB, I love
you.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 July 2019 at 7:19am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Nightcrawler is funny and not a would-be catholic priest anymore!

••

Of all the strange things that happened after I left the book, that might be the strangest.

When I was still working on UNCANNY, Chris one day decided he wanted Nightcrawler to be Jewish, and very devout. Roger Stern, as editor, and I pointed out that at that time (the late Seventies) there were not a whole lot of German Jews of Kurt's age, so many of their potential parents having been victims of the Holocaust. So that idea went away.

But a few years later, Chris revealed that Kurt was Catholic--and very devout.

Oy.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 July 2019 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Also loved the 139-140 reference. I've been wondering if you'd ever given thought to re-scripting those issues since you were the full plotter (in the form of handy cut-out speech balloons and captions!).

••

I was tempted to include a Prolog with a couple of pages from 140, to set up this scene, but I decided to limit the reference to a single comment I assumed most of my readers would catch.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2019 at 7:36am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I love the hijinks! That's a lot of fun, and Kurt should be a fun character. (I'm minded of the scene where Scott, Kurt, and Jean discovered Kitty and Kurt ran her up the wall.)

But I wonder that Logan went after him with claws and... what? Not temper... he was smiling pretty well too. Unless he was envisioning eviscerating Kurt and enjoyed the thought. There's a certain horror in that thought... what if it had been Storm or Kitty? Seems that there's a lot more control that Logan needs to exercise. Maybe that's the main purpose he's at Xavier's... he likely doesn't need too much more training in using his powers. More likely, he needs practice in NOT using his powers.

And Ororo against a sentinel? That ought to be fun, but you noted the collateral casualties, and that puts a harsh edge on it. Which is splendid, of course.

I feel refreshed looking at this book! Thank you for your remarkable efforts!

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2019 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

When I was still working on UNCANNY, Chris one day decided he wanted Nightcrawler to be Jewish, and very devout. Roger Stern, as editor, and I pointed out that at that time (the late Seventies) there were not a whole lot of German Jews of Kurt's age, so many of their potential parents having been victims of the Holocaust. So that idea went away.

But a few years later, Chris revealed that Kurt was Catholic--and very devout.

Yeah... And Magneto happened to be jewish...

I don't remember in what issue but someone says that Nightcrawler has faith... And of course he was so faithful he became a priest!

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 July 2019 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Yeah... And Magneto happened to be jewish...

••

I asked a Jewish friend and comic reader how he felt about that little "revelation" and he said "It's great! About time we had our own mass murderer!"

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 July 2019 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

But I wonder that Logan went after him with claws and... what? Not temper... he was smiling pretty well too. Unless he was envisioning eviscerating Kurt and enjoyed the thought. There's a certain horror in that thought... what if it had been Storm or Kitty? Seems that there's a lot more control that Logan needs to exercise. Maybe that's the main purpose he's at Xavier's... he likely doesn't need too much more training in using his powers. More likely, he needs practice in NOT using his powers.

••

I've mentioned before that a defining scene-I-could-never-do for Logan would be to have the rest of the team come down for breakfast to find him munching on cereal with Kitty lying disemboweled on the floor. Seems she's said "Good morning" in just the wrong tone of voice....

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2019 at 7:48am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'm jewish myself. When it was revealed I was not that shocked...

Since that time I read again the original X-Men run and it was really disturbing. Not the fact that he would be a jewish mass murderer but the fact that Magneto is (was?) a real Nazi.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 July 2019 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I'll reveal here a sequence I'd planned for HIDDEN YEARS, but did not get to:

A young woman shows up at the Mansion, looking for Xavier. Turns out she is the granddaughter of an old professor of his, someone who was very important to Charles in his youth. She tells him that her granddfather is dying, and has asked to see Charles.

Xavier goes with her to the hospital, but the old man is already too far gone to even know Charles is there. The granddaughter cries as she remembers the life the old man lead, including being a survivor of the Holocaust. "All those memories will be lost forever when he dies," she says. Xavier thinks "Perhaps not..." and when he has a moment alone with his old friend reaches into the man's mind and creates a "recording" of all that he has experienced.

The implication (which I would probably not have been allowed to state in so many words) is that when Magneto was turned into a baby Xavier planted all those memories in his mind, kind of as a "time release capsule" that would shape his personality as he grew up, and turn him away from his murderous ways. ("If only this power could be harnessed for Good...") Unfortunately, Erik the Red accelerated Magneto's growth process and Xavier's plan got messed up. The memories came to him all jumbled.

I imagined Magneto one day discovering what Xavier had done--ie, that all this memories belonged to someone else--and becoming once again the nasty piece of work we'd always known and loved.

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2019 at 8:03am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Wow!

Thank you for sharing this!

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2019 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Restoring Magneto to the Nazi-type Lee-Kirby created him to be would've been great!

Having Magneto be a Jewish Holocaust survivor was crazy. Magneto, against homo sapiens, except Jewish ones, you'd have to think -- or maybe Jews are an exception because they are... not human? But then...?!

<< Prev Page of 30 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |