Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 19 July 2019 at 6:07am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The Uncanny Valley just got deeper.
Back to Top profile | search

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2019 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

That trailer is just bizarre.

I'm no big fan of the original stage show but it had a certain charm to the designs. These designs are terrifying.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2019 at 6:54am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I saw Cats with my family on my first ever trip to New York City as a kid, so it holds a special place in my heart. I have no interest in seeing this but I'd have no problem listening to the soundtrack.

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 19 July 2019 at 6:55am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I have not seen the show, but it was obvious from the publicity stills that the costume designers were not trying to make the actors look like real cats. The designs were stylized representations of the "personalities" of the characters.

This movie seems to have completely missed that point.

Quick Note to the Filmmakers: Time for a SONIC style make-over. Giving the cats about four times as much fur would be a start.

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 19 July 2019 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Oh, and there's at least one gender-swap, for good measure.

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 19 July 2019 at 9:10am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Itís Not a Documentary

I vote for this phrase as the Hitler-reference of movie reviews. The moment the reviewer uses it, all credibility is lost.

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2019 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The only thing the trailer does for me is instill the hope that a Thundercats movie should be very doable.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2019 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I'm not a fan of this ilk of Broadway musical, plus the look of this movie seems guaranteed to supplant DARBY O'GILL AND THE LITTLE PEOPLE's heavy rotation in my nightmares. Hard pass.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2019 at 3:38pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Interestingly enough, films based on Broadway musicals that are released in time for the year-end holidays almost always underperform or outright bomb.  Over the past 20-odd years, we've maybe seen only 4 certified hits (CHICAGO, INTO THE WOODS, LES MISERABLES and DREAMGIRLS).

Considering the law of averages, and that even fans of the CATS Broadway show are put off by this, I'd say we're already looking at the big holiday movie bomb of 2019.  Which is not to say that it won't discover its own cult following afterwards (a la SHOWGIRLS or THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW)!

Edited by Shaun Barry on 19 July 2019 at 3:43pm

Tyler Kloster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2019 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Interestingly enough, films based on Broadway musicals that are released in time for the year-end holidays almost always underperform or outright bomb.  Over the past 20-odd years, we've maybe seen only 4 certified hits (CHICAGO, INTO THE WOODS, LES MISERABLES and DREAMGIRLS).

What is the criteria for being considered an underperformer?

I certainly wouldn't call it a blockbuster smash, more a modest success, but I think 2004's THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA adaptation at least made twice its budget worldwide. And SWEENEY TODD made back 3x its budget.

THE PRODUCERS and RENT, on the other hand, definite bombs. 

Struggling to think of any others from the past 2 decades, although I'm sure there are some obvious ones I may be missing.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2019 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Given how 2002's CHICAGO was probably considered the benchmark ($170 mil. domestic, Best Picture Oscar), I might agree that SWEENEY TODD and PHANTOM could be marked as "modest" successes, but surely the producers were looking for CHICAGO-like numbers, when both topped-out at only around $50 mil.  (And really, given its popularity, the 2004 PHANTOM OF THE OPERA should have been a megahit, no?)

The main point being, for whatever reason, Broadway musical movies are a big crapshoot around the holidays.  I can't explain it, but it's there.

Other recent examples:  ANNIE (2014) and JERSEY BOYS (both modest), and NINE (another bomb).  Considering how much CATS is being raked over the coals, months before its release, it may be a safe bet to say it will almost certainly underperform.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 19 July 2019 at 7:44pm

Kevin Corcoran
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2019 at 9:20pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

While this movie is not for me, the trailer for reminded me of the CATS storyline in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt; for that I'm grateful!

For those of you who've not seen it, I highly recommended it. Season 4 Episode 11.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |