Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | TV
Topic: Veronica Mars Season 4- SPOILERS! Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2019 at 5:18pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Apparently, no one on the internet anywhere is capable of discussing the return of this show without trumpeting the ending at a full blare. 

So, is anyone else returning to Neptune along with Veronica, Logan, Keith, Wallace, Weevil, and the rest? Is there anyone who was going to watch, but hey, now that the ending's been spoiled by everyone, isn't? 

Overall, I found the noir vibe a welcome return. In some ways, the Kickstarter campaign gave us a film with a kinder, gentler tone, whereas this series puts us back into the muck and mire that is Veronica's violent world of haves vs. have-nots.

The show's trademark wit and intelligence are very much in evidence*, and the performances are excellent. It really does my heart good to see Veronica back and in top form. 

* Except for that one thing, to read most reviews...

Edited by Brian Hague on 25 July 2019 at 5:22pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2019 at 6:18pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I thought Season 4 was great. The movie was pure fan service, which I was fine with since it was funded by a Kickstarter, but this was a return to form. It amazed me how dense the season was, given that it was only 8 episodes. It felt much longer, in a good way. Been a fan of Izabela Vidovic since the ABOUT A BOY TV series, so enjoyed her as Veronica's protege.

I thought the ending was appropriate to the character. I knew it would be controversial, as there was a segment of the fanbase heavily invested in that relationship. But I never thought it was the be-all and end-all of Veronica. Seeing some of the fan reaction to the ending made me realize how prescient Stephen King's MISERY was.
Back to Top profile | search

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2019 at 11:36pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

To be honest it felt like i was watching Jessica Jones instead of VM. 

Glad to see Logan killed off tho I never bought into their relationship.  Veronica as an adult tho leaves a lot to be desired she came across as a loser still in her hometown, can't commit to marriage till she considers cheating (the dream sequence) still saving her high school and really was outsmarted by the bad guy.  

The first two seasons of VM still hold up as some fine TV the cracks show up during the college year but still pretty damn good the movie was really forgettable 

Hopefully they put a bow on her life with another season w  something of a happy send off

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2019 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The knockabout life and lack of clear wins is, in part, what makes Veronica Mars a noir piece. On the original series, those individual episode mysteries upped her "win" ratio considerably, whereas with the season-long storyline, she suffered setback after setback. 

As for the Jessica Jones aspect, well, Krysten Ritter was on the original series and in the movie... :-)

I'm in the middle of Season Two and I'm a little surprised by how little time she actually spent with Logan. I know the major portion of their relationship is yet to come, but still... Hey, anything that puts Charisma Carpenter on my TV screen is welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Michael, I liked the protege element as well. After all the trouble the movie went through to put Veronica back where she started, Season 4 went out of its way to cut her loose from all that, while leaving everything tended to and taken care of nonetheless. It's an interesting place to leave the character. 

As for MISERY, in the case of Veronica Mars, the fanbase is literally invested in the property. I work with a man who bought into the Kickstarter campaign and he is not happy with the end of the series. He nodded emphatically when I said that the fans would have burned the theaters down had that been the ending for the film.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2019 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I participated in the Kickstarter, and as far as Iím concerned, my investment ended with the movie. 

I just find fansí sense of betrayal a bit overwrought, especially since Logan was essentially transformed into a different character to justify him and Veronica getting back together in the movie, something that Season 4 highlighted. I always regarded Veronicaís relationship with Logan as an example of one of her character flaws, choosing someone who was bad for her. 

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2019 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

It's a powerful moment in Season 4 when Logan himself essentially says the same thing after Veronica responds so passionately to his momentary loss of control. I watched that thinking, "Whoa. That is seriously Amidala-level messed up... Wanna see him slaughter a little Sandpeople girl as well, Veronica?" 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |