Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: Et tu, Moira!? Or...what makes a mutant - SPOILERS Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 August 2019 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Seems to have a lot of similarities to the Who Is Donna Troy? story.

•••

Shhh! Now some people will try to figure out how I stole the idea!

Back to Top profile | search

Vishwas Aragam
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2019 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

QUOTE:
4. Lapsed X-Men readers who just liked what Morrison was
doing on the book.

This was me. It was one of the books I picked up when I got back into
comics in college. I wasn’t familiar with Morrison’s work before and for
the most part enjoyed his run.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2019 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

JB wrote:
...There’s also a sense that many writers identify more with the bad guys, the rule breakers. “Yeah, that’s what I’d do if I had super powers!”...

Ugh, how I hate that line of thinking.  I hear it from too many people,  usually excusing a previously noble character being written badly. Honestly,  it is deeply depressing to think there are that many shitty people in the world that they would admit to being jerks and criminals if they had actual power. No wonder the world is in the state it's in. 

The guys over at Red Letter Media on YouTube recently reviewed the tv series "The Boys," and while they seemed against Superman being portrayed as he had been in "Man of Steel" (the film), they still trotted out the line about how they would act badly if they had powers. Whenever people say that, there seems to be the suggestion that everyone thinks like them about that matter.

Call me crazy, but I like to think someone out there would actually use powers for good. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 August 2019 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

As Roger Stern has often said, one of the things that make Superman Superman is that he’s never gone on TV and made a speech that begins “As your king...”

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2019 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Seems to have a lot of similarities to the Who Is Donna Troy? story.

Hey, you're right. Of course this shouldn't come as a surprise since this is a story written by Hickman whose past Marvel stories (as I pointed out in an earlier post) has basically been retelling/rehashing older DC stories with Marvel characters.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2019 at 5:34pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Of course this shouldn't come as a surprise since this is a story written by Hickman whose past Marvel stories (as I pointed out in an earlier post) has basically been retelling/rehashing older DC stories with Marvel characters.

Gee, whatever will he do if he works for DC?

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2019 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Gee, whatever will he do if he works for DC?

Probably rehash/retell old Marvel stories with DC characters.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2019 at 6:41pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Rick W: "...rehash/retell old Marvel stories with DC characters"

Superman: "Father, they are only human, but they are important to me..."
Jor-El: "Silence! By the bristling headband of Jor-El, ye must stop the menace of Black Zero, Kal-El!"

Guardian of the Universe: "You have never encountered a threat such as Galactus. He will destroy you planet, and none have ever turned him back."
Robin: "He's never faced US before! Titans, Together!"

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2019 at 6:46pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Call me crazy, but I like to think someone out there would actually use powers for good
-----------------------------------------------
Someone out there who would actually use powers for good doesn't preclude the notion that many would not. Super heroes are better than most; they are exceptional. The conceit of super hero comics is that it is this exceptional person who happens to get the powers and that's fine.

In real life, people tend to comprise bad and good impulses and consequently different actions will surface according to situation rather than disposition.

I would submit as evidence most riots in history, but in particular I would point your attention to the Murray-Hill riot in 1969, when the Montreal police went on strike and the normally non-criminal populous went ape-shit, and also to the LA riots after the acquittal of the four LA policeman  in the Rodney King case, when the LA police made it clear they wouldn't intercede. 55 deaths and a billion dollars damage later, the National Guard stepped in. No matter how outrageous the verdict, six days of rioting that had to be forcibly stopped doesn't speak much to the natural goodness in people's hearts.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2019 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I've also recently been reading about Puyi, the last Emperor of China. Someone who was handed great powers over those around him from a very young age. What did he do? Whip his eunuchs and occasionally command them to eat dirt...

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2019 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Superman: "Father, they are only human, but they are important to me..."
Jor-El: "Silence! By the bristling headband of Jor-El, ye must stop the menace of Black Zero, Kal-El!"

Guardian of the Universe: "You have never encountered a threat such as Galactus. He will destroy you planet, and none have ever turned him back."
Robin: "He's never faced US before! Titans, Together!"

LOL.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2019 at 8:36pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I was very glad to read last week's JUSTICE LEAGUE #29. Not only was it intentionally funny in parts, but it proved that yes, superheroes should be written as morally superior people. 

And it contains what might be my new favorite Batman panel of all time. (No spoilers.)

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |