Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: New comics and back issues 08/14/2019 Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2019 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Most of Spencer's stuff has been really good. The one glaring exception would be the whole Hydra Cap stuff/Secret Empire, which few folks liked because it was a really terrible idea, not because it was badly written.

Was "Hydra Cap" Spencer's idea or was it forced on him by Marvel editors? Does anyone outside Marvel know?
Back to Top profile | search

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2019 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

That's a good question. No way to know for sure but I've been told by a comic book store owner who is friends with many creators that Marvel's marketing directs stories more than editors and creators. 

Edited by Shawn Kane on 17 August 2019 at 2:55pm

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2019 at 10:40pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I finally got around to reading Conan Exodus by Esad Ribbic and apparently this comic really was what he was pumping all of his time into while rushing out those FF covers, because, holy crap, this issue is beautiful. It's also a mostly silent issue other than some untranslated Hyperborean dialogue. Also apparently just a one shot. The story telling with just beautifully drawn and painted art is extremely well done. Here's a sample:

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2019 at 5:32am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I passed on it the other day but I may see if my LCS still has it.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2019 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I nearly passed too, Shawn, because Marvel has been putting out way too much Conan stuff. Not that most of it hasn't been good, at least what I've bought and read (I passed on the Age of comics), but I really don't understand why they didn't or don't start small. Gauge interest with one title and see if there is the demand for more.They seem incapable of doing that. There can't be just one X-Men title coming out of Hickman's TWO mini-series, there has to be SIX within a few months. Ugh. THAT is what kills many readers excitement and beyond the quality of the work involved what makes a title like Immortal Hulk work for many readers. You only have to read one comic. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |