Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2019 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Everything in moderation, Michael!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2019 at 12:37am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I don't mind the drinking and I don't think it's excessive at all in the Marvel movies.

While they didn't go full "Demon in a Bottle" in IRON MAN 2 Tony is shown as a somewhat problematic and irresponsable alcoholic while hosting a party with the Iron Man suit on. 

IRON MAN 3 is kind of the beginning of redemption story that culminates in ENDGAME. 
Back to Top profile | search

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2019 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I was also very glad that the movies never had Tony go all "Demon in a Bottle."

I did love the "gimme a scotch, I'm starving" line in the first IRON MAN movie. And yes, he got drunk in IRON MAN 2. But he never went full alcoholic, thankfully.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2019 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I love how the drinking might turn people off... but someone getting punched in the face every 5 minutes is A-okay!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2019 at 8:53pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Cast your mind back to the Dr Strange film. To the brilliant but arrogant surgeon Stephen Strange. The Lamborghini car crash. The trashed hands. The desperate search for a remedy. The final throw of the dice, following an empty hope to Kamar-Taj.  The mystery of the Ancient One. The wrestling with what Strange thought he knew and what he must learn. The Eye of Agamotto. Kaecillus and his zealots attacking the sancta sanctorum. The cloak of levitation. Dormammu and the Dark Dimension. The endless time loop that draws a promise from Dormmamu.

Credits.

Then, a scene where Strange in a humorous two-second moment, magically refills Thor's beer.

Ubiquitous! 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 18 August 2019 at 1:57am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Rodrigo Castellanos wrote:
IRON MAN 3 is kind of the beginning of redemption story that culminates in ENDGAME.

Curious.  Didn't the redemption story start with the very first IRON MAN when Tony Stark decided that he wasn't going to create weapons of mass destruction for sale to the highest bidder?  Everything else kind of flowed from that, no?

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2019 at 5:42am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Curious.  Didn't the redemption story start with the very first IRON MAN when Tony Stark decided that he wasn't going to create weapons of mass destruction for sale to the highest bidder?  Everything else kind of flowed from that, no?

Sure. There are many "redemptions" going on with this character. I was referring to the alcohol thing because it was the topic of the thread.

For me, IRON MAN 2 shows him at his most ego-driven, alcoholic and irresponsible and later Tony kinda acknowledging these faults.

His almost sacrifice in AVENGERS, and the shell-shocked, insecure Tony we see in IRON MAN 3 are steps in his voyage to recovery, where we finally see him getting his priorities straight and putting his ego aside and giving real value to his relationships (especially Pepper).

This "new" Tony is the one who was able to become a happy family man and then sacrifice all that for the rest of humanity. It's a great arc, and the reason RDJ gets the most clapping and cheering at ENDGAME I think.

Edited by Rodrigo castellanos on 18 August 2019 at 5:47am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |