Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 30 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN ELSEWHEN 04 -- Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2019 at 5:55pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

OT for a moment, I quite enjoyed The Proteus Saga.  It's second only to the Dark Phoenix storyline for me and I've always regretted Proteus' death though I've since discovered he re-emerged in several different later storylines, including a wacky one in which he apparently inhabited TOS Gary Mitchell's body.   Ick.   These recent pages on Muir Island keep making me think of Proteus for some reason. 

Though it features some very different scifi tropes, the Tobe Hooper / Dan O'Bannon LIFE FORCE has also long reminded me of Proteus' story with its body-traveling, life-sucking monster roaming the countryside leaving a wake of burnt out corpses.  The overall film was fatally flawed but I recall some interesting individual moments that rose above the mess (sexy Mathilda May among others).  Did you ever see it, John?

Edited by Rick Senger on 11 September 2019 at 5:55pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2019 at 5:57pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

This is fantastic! How did I miss this for so long?

Loving the art, love the story unfolding, I'm not going to analyse it, just going to go with the flow like I did when I was 13 :)

Thanks JB. Marvel's loss is our gain!

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2019 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Even ignoring issue chronology, page 8 takes place somewhere in New Mexico which seems pretty far from Muir Island. Remember that guessing or speculating is not permitted and there is even less value in claiming to have an idea about what is gong on. Excitement is high and very justified, but let's not loose our collective minds. JB is a very capable story teller and I strongly doubt he will leave anything unexplained. Be patient enough to let him tell his story.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 September 2019 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Proteus was when I told Chris I didn’t think it was appropriate for Xavier to have a bastard son. So Moira developed a previously unseen husband—and Chris saved the bastard for when I was gone.

(It’s something of a trope. SO many superheroes who can’t have sex without pregnancy occurring. How dumb are these people?)

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2019 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The art in this issue is my favourite so far in this project. The constant contrast between light & dark & the geometry being used is amazing.

& hey, Sentinels. I love Sentinels.

Brian Hughes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2019 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I am curious as to how most readers "hear" the voice of the Sentinels.

In my head, I hear a cross between the ones from the animated series and ED209 from Robocop.

Every weekday morning shares an excitement I remember back in the late 70's as I would walk down to the U-Totem convenience store to see what new issues had show up on the stands.

Thanks JB.  I hope you are enjoying this as much as we are.

Philippe Pinoli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2019 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

How can I describe my amazement page after page
while JB make me speechless ???

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2019 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

QUOTE:
I am curious as to how most readers "hear" the voice of the Sentinels.

Initially, I wanted them to sound like Black Manta from the SUPER FRIENDS (1977) cartoon. That version of Black Manta has the greatest voice for a supervillain ever. I don't think it fits Sentinels though.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2019 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The quality of the depiction of the Sentinels shaking down that room is astounding -- the details of the tumbling items and the battle still going on in the background. Bravo!!!!   

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 September 2019 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Generally I prefer the villains to have more "normal" voices. Consider HAL in SPACE ODYSSEY.

(Again I remember Chris giving me dramatic readings of his scripts, with Magneto sounding like the Wicked Witch of the West. When Magneto was turned into a "good guy", I asked if he still sounded like that.)

Raj Dhami
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2019 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I was just about to say how great today's page is and how the pencil only art adds a real depth to the work - and now, all i can think about is Claremont's face in response to the above comment.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2019 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Perhaps it is because I am a father, but that last panel of page 9 hits me extremely hard. I'm definitely emotionally invested.

Regarding how Sentinels sound; in my head I think they have a "robotic" or typical voice. Imagining a HAL 9000 voice spooks me right out, though.

<< Prev Page of 30 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |