Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: Commonalities Guessing Game Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2019 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Dave P., time for me to take a crack at YOUR questions!

Hawkman, Falcon, Black Widow, Iron Fist and Captain Britain - how about characters whose appearances radically changed? Earth-2's Hawkman in his last Golden Age appearances (All-Star 57) looked quite different from Katar Hol. Falcon, Black Widow, and Captain Britain's original outfits were rather radically different from later versions. Iron Fist... well, that one evades me, but the theme seems to match.

Dove (Dawn), Starman (Will), Hal Jordan, Wasp (Jan), Firestorm (Ronnie): Super heroes who had more than one identity? Dawn was Don Hall; Starman was Ted Knight; Green Lantern was... okay, too many for me to name; Wasp was Hank Pym; and Firestorm was originally Martin Stein and Ronnie Raymond; then, others were replacing in the matrix - Mikhail Arkadin, Jason Rusch, Black Lantern Firestorm/Deathstorm, and even Jefferson Jackson from "DC's Legends of Tomorrow."

Did I get close?
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2019 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Captain Nemo, The Prisoner, Dr. Who, The Man From UNCLE, James Bond, Tevye, Achilles.
-----------------------------
Is this something to do with actors playing different nationalities?
English James Mason playing Indian Captain Nemo
Irish Patrick McGoohan playing the British Prisoner
Doctor Who I don't know... Scottish Sylvester McCoy playing a role usually played by Englishmen? English William Hartnell playing a Gallifreyan?
Scottish Sean Connery playing (originally) English Bond
Israeli Topol playing Russian Tevye
American Brad Pitt playing Greek Achilles.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2019 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Oh, I forgot: British David McCallum playing Russian Ilya Kuryakin

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2019 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

One more before I dive back in to figure out some of these others:

Lois Lane, Dr. Fate, Zatanna, Black Lightning, Ragman, Richard Dragon, and the Guardians of the Universe.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2019 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

OK, the answer to my one.

The answer is that the characters have been played by the same actor in two unrelated productions.

Christopher Lee is famous for playing Dracula for Hammer. But he also played Dracula in a 1970 film (non-Hammer) directed by Jesus Franco.

Sean Connery is famous for playing Bond in the EON series of films, but famously also came back to the role in Never Say Never Again, a rival production to the official EON series.

Anthony Hopkins won an Oscar for his role as Hannibal Lecter in one of Orion Pictures' last films before it went into financial meltdown, Silence of the Lambs. Though Dino De Laurentis owned the rights to Lecter, he had given the rights to Orion for that one film. After its success, he ploughed on with the film Hannibal, also starring Hopkin, through his own production company, with Ridley Scott at the helm, distributing the film through MGM and Universal. So ostensibly a sequel, but in reality a completely different, unrelated production.

Ian Hart played John Lennon first in The Hours and Times, an hour-long black and white film made in 1991. He then played the role again in the 1994 film Backbeat.

Steven Culp played RFK in the 1996 HBO TVM Norma Jean & Marilyn. He then played the role again in the 2000 feature film Thirteen Days.

Damon Herriman played Charles Manson this year on Netflix's Mindhunter and the same role in Tarantino's latest Once Upon A Time in Hollywood.

So, all played the same role, but in unrelated productions.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2019 at 5:37pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Peter Martin wrote:
So, all played the same role, but in unrelated productions

Ah. I noticed that when I was looking them up but it didn't occur to me to mention it. D'oh!

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2019 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Brian Hague wrote:
Lois Lane, Dr. Fate, Zatanna, Black Lightning, Ragman, Richard Dragon, and the Guardians of the Universe

Well, they all appeared with Batman in Brave and the Bold...

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2019 at 5:45pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Eric Sofer wrote:
Dave P., time for me to take a crack at YOUR questions!

Hawkman, Falcon, Black Widow, Iron Fist and Captain Britain - how about characters whose appearances radically changed? Earth-2's Hawkman in his last Golden Age appearances (All-Star 57) looked quite different from Katar Hol. Falcon, Black Widow, and Captain Britain's original outfits were rather radically different from later versions. Iron Fist... well, that one evades me, but the theme seems to match.

Dove (Dawn), Starman (Will), Hal Jordan, Wasp (Jan), Firestorm (Ronnie): Super heroes who had more than one identity? Dawn was Don Hall; Starman was Ted Knight; Green Lantern was... okay, too many for me to name; Wasp was Hank Pym; and Firestorm was originally Martin Stein and Ronnie Raymond; then, others were replacing in the matrix - Mikhail Arkadin, Jason Rusch, Black Lantern Firestorm/Deathstorm, and even Jefferson Jackson from "DC's Legends of Tomorrow."

Did I get close?

I'm afraid not.

On the first, with the notable exception of the Black Widow (and I suppose an honorable adjustment to Hawkman's look), I believe the individuals in question were still on their original looks when they "qualified" for the category.

For the second, recognizing that the characters listed had more than one incarnation, I thought I'd be helpful and indicate exactly which one I was referring to. Sorry for any unintentional confusion. :-) For what it's worth, Don Hall would also qualify. Ted wouldn't, but a few of his friends would.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2019 at 6:32pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Dave Phelps wrote: "Well, they all appeared with Batman in Brave and the Bold..."

Dave, that's true. But they were each only featured once. Brave and the Bold brought back heroes time and time again, but these characters only showed up (on the cover with their own logo) once. 

Re: Dove, Starman, Hal Jordan, Wasp, & Firestorm- Characters killed in crossover events or major storylines? Dove (Don)-Crisis, Dove (Dawn) Armageddon 2001, Starman (Will)- Eclipso: The Darkness Within, Hal Jordan- Final Night, Wasp- Secret Invasion, Firestorm- Identity Crisis

Edited by Brian Hague on 20 September 2019 at 6:39pm

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2019 at 7:04pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Brian Hague wrote:
Re: Dove, Starman, Hal Jordan, Wasp, & Firestorm- Characters killed in crossover events or major storylines? Dove (Don)-Crisis, Dove (Dawn) Armageddon 2001, Starman (Will)- Eclipso: The Darkness Within, Hal Jordan- Final Night, Wasp- Secret Invasion, Firestorm- Identity Crisis

Yep!

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2019 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Ah, life is good... :-)

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2019 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Hawkman, Falcon, Black Widow, Iron Fist and Captain Britain...

Characters with changing, disputed backstories? (And that list could be a very long one...)

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |