Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: Commonalities Guessing Game Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm not above leveraging all resources. :-)

Oh, me either. My google search came up with nothing. 
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Try this list (and I'm talking about TV and movie portrayals versions): Dracula, Hannibal Lecter, John Lennon, James Bond, Robert Kennedy, Charles Manson.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Dave, that's not what I was thinking there, but I like it nonetheless. I was thinking of Earth-1 or Earth-2 characters who never came face-to-face with their counterparts. 

Of course, it's debatable in some circles as to whether some of these counterparts even exist. Aquaman was said not to have an Earth-2 counterpart until Roy Thomas specifically said that he did, but that he chose not to involve himself with the Justice Society or All-Star Squadron. There is evidence to back up Thomas's assertion, since Aquaman does hail from that same era and debuted with yellow gloves and a different origin than was shown in later stories. 

The controversy of an Earth-1 Wildcat has been around since Haney first teamed Batman up with the character in Brave and the Bold #88. Haney's version was consistent with a solid history than ran through his five appearances in B&B. Those eager to dismiss the character as a product of Haney's fevered imagination need to look at the issue of Super-Team Family where he appeared with the Creeper in a story written by Bob Rozakis. In any case, since he was sidelined in lettercols and never given "official" sanction in a JLA/JSA crossover, he's still scoffed at by many and certainly never met his more legitimate other self. 

Batman, of all the JLA members, never ran into his older self. He had a somewhat strained relationship with the E-2 Robin and a more sympathetic one with the Huntress, but he never met and shook hands with his JSA counterpart. Even their "team-up" in Brave and the Bold #200 went out of its way to keep the two characters separate. 

No mention of Green Arrow's E-2 counterpart was made until Thomas's "All-Star Squadron" and he was quickly killed in the Crisis. Plastic Man was caught between worlds with versions said to exist on Earths-X, B, and whatever world DC's humor titles took place upon. Roy Thomas took pains to establish that the Earth-X version originated on E-2 and the others were never mentioned again. A tangled knot, to be sure, but one thing that never happened was a meet-up between any of these counterparts (unless you agree with the humor version that he is the actual son of the original, which most readers to not hold with.)

In any case, that was all way too convoluted and tenuous to be a question here, and I should go stand in a corner for a while for even considering it. My apologies.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Peter, I'm tempted to say that all of those people or characters have been portrayed by four or more different actors, but that's such a common thing with characters these days, I'm not sure that's where you were headed with your question.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Eric, I like that guess concerning Filmation*. That connection did not occur to me as I putting the question together, so I need to be more careful going forward, but no, that's not what I was thinking there. I'll leave the question open for now, but I'll answer it soon if there aren't anymore guesses at it.

* Plas didn't get his own animated show until 1979 courtesy of Ruby-Spears Productions.

Edited by Brian Hague on 13 September 2019 at 2:10pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

It's not about different actors, Brian.

Darren Ashmore
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

This is a great game.  Let's try one:

Superman, Batman, Captain America, Spider-Man, Mr Spock, John Koenig (Space 1999), Frankensteins' Monster, Starsky & The Fonz

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I can’t keep up with all these. 

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 6:04pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Brian Hague wrote:
Dave, that's not what I was thinking there, but I like it nonetheless. I was thinking of Earth-1 or Earth-2 characters who never came face-to-face with their counterparts.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, then once you added Plastic Man I was doomed. :-)

But based on that, I have a guess on the next one:

QUOTE:
Along similar lines, we also have...
Dr. Fate, J'onn J'onzz, Firestorm, Star-Spangled Kid, Huntress, and Zatanna.

JLA/JSAers that didn't HAVE a counterpart?

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Brian Miller wrote:
I can’t keep up with all these

I've taken to copying the unsolved ones over to a notepad file myself...

But yeah, we need more guessers. :-)

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 6:36pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Eric Sofer wrote:
QUIZ: Atom, Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, Superman; Aqualad, Kid Flash, Wonder Girl; NOT Batman, Green Arrow, Manhunter from Mars, Snapper Carr, Wonder Woman, Robin; Aquaman was supposed to be part of the first list, but actually was in the second. (Hint: there is a reason that Batman and Robin are not listed together.

Any chance this has something to do with the time World's Finest was a Superman team-up book? (Although Snapper Carr and Aqualad throw a monkey wrench into that notion.)

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 10:43pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Dave, bingo on the JLA/JSA answer! You do have a special talent for this!

By my count, these are the questions that remain open...

Brian Hague:

1. Green Arrow, Space Ghost, Swamp Thing, Black Widow, and Night Nurse. (Later added White Tiger, Jimmy Olsen, and Perry White.)

2. Captain America, Sub-Mariner, Barry Allen, Creeper, and Metamorpho.

3. Superman, Batman and Robin, Wonder Woman, Flash Gordon, Archie, Plastic Man, and the Lone Ranger, but NOT the Flash, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Aquaman, or Buck Rogers. 

Dave Phelps:

1. Batman, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter and Green Arrow (but NOT Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash and Green Lantern)

2. Hulk, Human Torch, Flash, Batman and, huh, the Mimic again

Eric Sofer:

1. Batman and Robin, the Fantastic Four, Wonder Woman, the Ghost Rider, Green Arrow and Speedy, the Champions, Space Ghost, and Superman once.

2. Atom, Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, Superman; Aqualad, Kid Flash, Speedy, Wonder Girl; NOT Batman, Green Arrow, Manhunter from Mars, Snapper Carr, Wonder Woman, Robin; Aquaman was supposed to be part of the first list, but actually was in the second. (Hint: there is a reason that Batman and Robin are not listed together.)

Peter Martin:

1. Dracula, Hannibal Lecter, John Lennon, James Bond, Robert Kennedy, Charles Manson.

Darren Ashmore:

1. Superman, Batman, Captain America, Spider-Man, Mr Spock, John Koenig (Space 1999), Frankensteins' Monster, Starsky & The Fonz.

I count nine open questions. Did I miss anyone's?

I'll go ahead and answer one of mine to reduce the overall tonnage. My third question with Superman, Batman & Robin, WW, Plastic Man, Archie, and the Lone Ranger- All of these were parodied in early issues of Mad. 

That brings it down to eight, I believe.

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |