Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Movies
Topic: Doomed: the Untold Story of Corman’s Fantastic Four Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2019 at 11:52pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

There's a documentary out that tells the story of the infamous '90's Fantastic Four movie.  At least from the perspective of the actors and those involved with actually making the movie. 

Anyway, as good as Dr. Doom and the Thing looked, especially for the limited time and budget, the rest of the FF's uniforms just looked cheesy.  Not the design, the execution.  But the more I looked, I realized they were actually pretty close to getting them...well, maybe not "right" but pretty good.  Perhaps if they'd had more time and/or money, they would have fine tuned the uniforms?  

IMO, just making the collars less prominent and higher on the neck and reducing the size of the "4" would have made a lot of difference.  Narrowing the belts would have helped too.  I also gave Reed's hair a little re-style.  But all in all, I don't think it would have taken much for the group to look pretty good.

Edit:  I also failed to realize that these were JB's FF uniforms.  Which is typical.  They interviewed the designer in the documentary and he specifically said that they were trying to get as close to the Lee/Kirby run as possible but made no mention of the "negative" uniforms from JB's run.

Edited by Andy Mokler on 11 September 2019 at 12:08am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2019 at 12:59am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I think there was a thread about this before but it was years ago when the documentary first dropped. 

I bought the Doomed! Blu Ray, it's really well made and insightful.  I've watched it all the way through a couple times.  They recently sold a Blu Ray of The Fantastic Four uprezzed from a first generation tape.  There's an actual 1080p clip of the trailer, which they still a 35mm copy of.

I still think this is the only FF movie to actually capture the characters, despite the low budget Corman cheese.  I followed the production when it was being made, and even have buttons that I got from my LCS.

The movie was disappeared by Avi Arad, and then all information just ceased and I didn't learn what had happened for many years, but I did find a bootleg at a comic convention.  $10 for an unlabeled VHS tape. 

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2019 at 3:19am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

There's something about cheap versions (including cosplay) that often get more right in adaptations than big budget versions do.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2019 at 3:41am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Often, with lower budget films, I think there is a real excitement about doing the property which vanishes the larger the budget becomes and the more those involved begin to think "what can I do to contribute to this...?" Lower budget projects seem happier just to have the right to make the thing and want to put what excites them about it onscreen. 

Corman's project was just happy to find a way to put the Thing onscreen, so that's what they did, albeit one tending more towards the "dinosaur hide" interpretation. There was never any question but that the big budget version would be able to, so it became more a question of "what can we do to make this make more sense? Keep it consistent with the logic of our film?" So, the brow goes away, because, really, did that ever make any sense, hm? Often, the more you pay for something, the more entitlement you feel over it.

Not always, of course. Sometimes people are just committed to making their version, something that makes sense to them, come hell or high water. Then you get the two Captain America TV movies... :-)

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security

Negative Mod

Posted: 11 September 2019 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I caught this doc on one of the streaming services...I was let down by the lack
of any real content to it.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2019 at 5:00am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Nice work on the changes Andy, especially the collars.
As were, they looked like bibs.

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 September 2019 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Since they turned my version of the costumes from black to blue, seems like they might as well have gone all the way and made the white parts black.*

--------------------

* Excluding the white on the chest emblem, of course.

Jonathan A. Dowdell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2019 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Doomed, like it's subject, suffers from no budget and no real depth/weight. 

This version of the FF and the 1990 Captain America are what I call "Movie of the Week" film making. There is no budget so we get action in the first and last 5 minutes of the movie. The rest is crappy melodrama (like a MoW) that is much cheaper to film. 

The Corman FF is unwatchable to me. 

I, on the other hand, do get some enjoyment out of the Fox Fantastic Four movies. Not that I've watched either in years but there are some elements/scenes that I enjoy. 

John Byrne

Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 September 2019 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

This version of the FF and the 1990 Captain America are what I call "Movie of the Week" film making. There is no budget so we get action in the first and last 5 minutes of the movie. The rest is crappy melodrama (like a MoW) that is much cheaper to film.

••

As you may be aware, the FF movie was rushed out on a shoestring budget to ensure the license did not lapse. High quality was not a guiding factor.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2019 at 9:17am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I always felt sorry for the cast, given how they didn't know it was never intended for release. Hearing how the girl who played Susan Storm was in her car when there was a radio advertisment mention of the Fox Fantastic Four film and had to pull over and have a cry. (Because of how they'd always thought of it as their movie, only to get prettty wiped from the history of it.) I mean that's really sad.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2019 at 3:08am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I've watched the Corman FF more times than the Fox movies combined.  (3 to 2). 

I'm not sure how you can argue that the documentary lacked substance.  It's not Ken Burns' The Civil War, but it dives deeply into the love that the people who were making the movie had for the subject matter, and that they put their hearts into something with the expectation that it would be released, only to have it pulled before the premiere.  There's a reason that nearly everyone involved in the movie agreed to be interviewed, they're still proud of the work all these years later. 

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2019 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I remember being at SDCC one year when the movie was
supposed to be released...the director and one of
the actors were there to promote it (I think they were
at the Film Threat magazine booth) (it was either the
guy who wore the Thing suit or the guy who played Ben
Grimm, I honestly don't recall)...they were so certain
that the film was going to be in theaters. It really is
a shame they got screwed like that...and I have one of