Author

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 September 2019 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

...consider this.
Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2019 at 9:22pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Nearly 40,000 people died from gunshot in the USA during 2017, of which nearly 14,500 were homicides. That’s in one year & is repeated year on year.

Where are their annual vigils? Where are the steps, any steps, being put in place to stop or @ least try to decrease this? I just cannot fathom how this continues to be enabled by legal gun ownership. Nor how people continue to think the answer is more gun ownership.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2019 at 10:27pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Just saw on BBC news Trump is banning e-cigarettes after
a couple of deaths...

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 September 2019 at 1:57am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

E-cigarettes are not protected by the Constitution.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2019 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Vapes need to go next. E-cigarettes are only dangerous to the user. Vapes are not.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2019 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

A ban on e-cigarettes? Why are we banning substances that perform an important role as part of natural selection? Ricky Gervais has some better suggestions:

QUOTE:
If we removed "Do not Drink" from bottles of bleach, & "May contain Nuts" from packets of nuts, I think we would strengthen the gene pool.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 September 2019 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The unfortunate problem with the Gervais Hypothesis is that it is children who usually suffer.

When I was around 12, the managers of the apartment complex where I lived fertilized the lawns surrounding the buildings. The fertilizer was in the form of small white pellets, about the size of grains of rice. A couple of the younger kids went crawling around EATING them. Luckily, one of them went home to report to his Mon the treasure he'd found, and both were whipped off to the hospital to get their stomachs pumped. A few well placed warning signs put up a a couple of days before the procedure might have prevented the problem, back back then such things were not a consideration.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2019 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It's mainly in jest of course, but there is some truth to what Ricky says - obvious warnings do serve to reinforce and reward stupid behaviour. In the example you gave JB, there was nothing obvious about the pellets being poison, with or without signage. But surely anyone with a known nut allergy for example who needs a warning sign to prevent them from eating from a bag of nuts is just asking for it.

It reminds me of the intro to the movie Idiocracy. While I don't wish misery or death on anyone, equally, I don't think we need to do everything in our power to protect and encourage stupid people to thrive and live long, fertile, lives!

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 September 2019 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

As someone said, the biggest problem in the world is that the smart people are full of doubts, while the stupid people are full of confidence.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2019 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Too true, Mr. Byrne. Because smart and thoughtful are always if their conclusions are correct, and if they might be slightly incorrect.

Stupid people never wonder about what they follow. "God said it... I believe it... and that settles it." Clever people never just settle for it.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |