Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Alpha Flight Q for JB Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2019 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I was just wondering about the lack of Annuals for ALPHA FLIGHT. Did you have any ideas for one?
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 September 2019 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Nope.

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2019 at 7:02pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Annuals wouldn't work. Canada uses metric years.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2019 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

JB - In the Bronze Age, did Marvel and/or DC order creators that they would do an annual for a title they were already doing?   Or was doing an annual something the creators would pitch to the company?  

It must have been such a grind to get writers, pencillers, inkers, 
letterers, and colourists to all do their jobs for a regular monthly book that it puzzles me how the extra workload of an annual could be fit in?

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2019 at 5:41am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I was never a fan of US annuals. They often fell like fill-ins (to me).

Instead, JB's run on AF have us three double issues (by issue 24 no less), all in contunity and with the sense of real event. Was there ever any other on-going Marvel comic of the time that could rival that?

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 September 2019 at 6:11am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Back in the Lee/Kirby/Ditko days the indicia would say something like “published monthly, except November twice monthly”. The annuals were considered part of the yearly product, and very often were in continuity.

As the fans took over and the general level of professionalism declined, annuals became less and less of an event. They were, indeed, often inventory jobs, repackaged.

The ultimate indignity came when Marvel started publishing “graphic novels”. They started out as “special”, but quickly became a dumping ground for inventory.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2019 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Matthew, there was a time when annuals and 80 page giants were special treats, done as important stories and in-continuity stories. (Of course, waaay back, they became reprints... and before THAT, they were originals again.)

But it seemed after that that they became part of giant company crossover stories. And then, the annuals had a theme, and they became the practice ground for new writers and authors, as a soft of showcase for this new talent. And exactly as Mr. Byrne points out, they were dumping ground.

This is when I gave up on them, and on most comics; it was a contributing factor. DC had annual crossovers including: new international heroes (I imagined editors saying, "Hey, somebody has to hit like Superman or Spider-Man did, right?" - also known as the crap on the wall method of new characters, who just became superfluous characters to later be eliminated); "ghosts"; the JLA becoming gorillas,etc. Marvel made company-wide crossovers which had to be huge, overblown affairs that every book HAD to participate in, thus interrupting up storylines in the regular books. And how easy is it to create an earth shaking problem requiring the Avengers, the Fantastic Four, and the Silver Surfer before they become rather commonplace?

And in fact, I recall that Alpha Flight DID get into an Annual for Marvel Team-Up. I can't remember the story, but I recall that it wasn't very memorable.

Not concentrating on particularly good stories - but keep flinging that crap against that wall, guys. Better to be lucky than talented.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 September 2019 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

When I was a kid and DC launched the 80 page giant format with SECRET ORIGINS* it was indeed a heady time—made all the more so by the fact that I had no way to tell those stories were reprints. Each “Annual” seemed like a truly special event.

————

* I can still practically taste that moment, sitting on the old couch in the den, paging with untrammeled wonderment thru that issue. Worth every penny of the extravagant sum of 25¢ I’d paid for it. Fully one quarter of my allowance for that week!

Bill Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2019 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

To be fair, no matter how much your allowance was, 25¢ would be a quarter of it,...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 September 2019 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

sigh

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2019 at 3:28am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

And in fact, I recall that Alpha Flight DID get into an Annual for Marvel Team-Up. I can't remember the story, but I recall that it wasn't very memorable.

I bought that. It's a Collector story and heavily features Marrina. Also, like pretty much every other AF appearance that happened in other titles during AF's run it does not fit into the team's timeline at all. (I'm working from memory but IIRC it is clear that Marrina has had no contact with the team between the two Master of the Universe arcs.)

One of the strengths of JB's AF was that it was relationships between characters and when they had last met was always clear, but this was continually ignored by writers on other titles.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply | Post New Topic |