Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Sports Talk << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: NFL News Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 30 December 2019 at 2:22am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Kitchens is but the first domino to fall ahead of Black Monday.  The Giants and Jags are expected to fire their head coaches and if Jerry doesn't do the same in Dallas, there may be a fan revolt.  
Back to Top profile | search

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security

Negative Mod

Posted: 31 December 2019 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I can see Jones firing him even though his contract is up.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2019 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The Redskins have hired Ron Rivera, who is looking to bring in Jack Del Rio as his defensive coordinator. On paper these are strong choices but I have no faith in that ownership to succeed.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 02 January 2020 at 1:53am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The Jags have kept their entire front office and HC. We can talk all we want about how awful the Redskins organization is (and it's historic) but this is a terrible decision.  The Jags are mired in mediocrity and have been for decades.  Keeping those who got you there just because you think the options on the free market are limited is just shitting on your fans.  

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2020 at 5:41pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Current rumor is that the Browns are set to hire Vikings OC Kevin Stefanski.  This is the final head coaching vacancy left going into next season.

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2020 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Eli Manning is announcing his retirement tomorrow morning. I followed his whole career, it'll be weird not to see him play. The team is officially in Jones' hands.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2020 at 5:54am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

And thus the countdown to many debates on whether Eli belongs in the Hall.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2020 at 11:56pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

He does, but not as a first ballot inductee. 

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2020 at 7:16pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I've never go the 'yes but not a first ballot' mindset. Someone either belongs or they don't.  I can't understand 'they don't belong now but they will in three years.'  

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 26 January 2020 at 3:17am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Although I get where you're coming from, John, I've got to disagree. This from the pro football HoF website:

The Hall of Fame’s selection process includes multiple steps in which the nominees are scrutinized. The Hall facilitates the procedure of three successive reviews of increasing scrutiny with its 48 selectors. The first is a vote to reduce the long list of Modern-Era nominees (typically around 100) to 25 semifinalists, followed by a later vote to reduce to 15 finalists. At the annual “Selection Saturday" Meeting, the finalists are scrutinized even further by the Selectors, who after a thorough discussion of each nominee reduce the list from 15 to 10 and then 10 to 5. At that point, the five remaining nominees are voted on for membership on a yes or no basis. A minimum positive vote of 80 percent is necessary for election.

Essentially, it's incredibly hard to become a "first ballot" hall of fame inductee.  Five make it.  Just five.  Yes, the process should be tough, but there are more than five HoF worthy candidates each and every year.  There just are.  I'm not arguing for or against Eli, but saying that there are certainly more than just the five players/coaches chosen after the mandatory five-year waiting period that deserve to be in the HoF.  It's an arbitrary process that, unfortunately, leaves behind individuals that have had a lasting impact on the game.  They make up for it in later inductions.  The only other alternative is to say that if you don't get in the HoF the year after the waiting period, then you'll never get in. I think that would be a terrible mistake.  Jimmy Johnson has been eligible for decades.  He only just got in this year.  That, to me, is ridiculous.  He should have been in years before Bill Cowher, who was just elected with him.  

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2020 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Good point, Matt.  I guess the I just find the 'first ballot' conversation a bit tedious.  I'm from Canton, I hear about it non-stop - everyone there thinks they're a voter :)  

I really have no real opinion on Eli, other than I think he'll walk into the Hall, for a lot of reasons, some do to his performance (more wins than Montana, Bradshaw,, Moon, Kelly, two Super Bowl wins, etc ... )and some to do with being a Manning in a Hall that always needs a headliner for an annual ceremony.

My assumption with coaches is that voters generally expect them to go back into coaching and that's why they often wait longer to get inducted. Cowher, especially, comes up every year when there are vacancies.

Edited by John Popa on 26 January 2020 at 8:15am

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2020 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Jimmy Johnson and Bill Cowher both should have been inducted years ago. 

Also, Jason Witten might be heading to the Giants. I say "good luck to him, and no big loss to the Cowboys" if he goes. Witten is one of my favorite Cowboys players ever, but he should have stayed retire. Won't exactly be making anyone quake with fear.

There's talk that Byron Jones may be heading to the Eagles. Again, not worried. The money that Dallas would spend to keep him could be spent better elsewhere.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |