Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Bright New Star Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 September 2019 at 6:31am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

After Neal had blown our collective socks off for a few years at DC, her arrived at Marvel on X-MEN, when his credit was "Introducing..." Cuz, you know, Marvel fans didn't pay any attention to DC.

(I recall an interview in which Neal said that he adopted a motif when working on Batman. If the writer did not specify otherwise, Neal would set all of Batman's scenes at night!)

Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Cate
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2019 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Was it always understood that Neal was just popping in for a short stint on the X-MEN series? 

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2019 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Neal has said that when he agreed to come to Marvel, and asked to take over their worst selling title, Stan Lee said OK, we'll give you X-Men, but after that I want you to draw Avengers.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2019 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Another Adams, Arthur Adams, is my "bright new star". My Mom bought me a bunch of comics semi-randomly, and Longshot #2 was among the pile. His style left me wanting much, much more. Unfortunately, in the following three decades, he hasn't done as much as I'd wanted. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 19 September 2019 at 8:25pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2019 at 5:26am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I first noticed George Perez when he drew his first issue of The Avengers (issue #141).  Up to that point he had been an artist for Deadly Hands of Kung Fu (the Sons of the Tiger and White Tiger) and Creatures on the Loose (Man-Wolf), so it was very early in his career and even his rough, early work was terrific, so I started buying anything with his art.

Pretty much the same with JB when he was drawing Iron Fist - although it probably took me until Iron Fist had his own title before I was to the point where I was going to get anything her drew.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Sergio Saavedra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2019 at 6:03am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

If I'm not wrong, Marvel included the credits since the beginning in the early 1960s. When did DC begin doing the same?

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2019 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Around 1968, my family lived in the country, far from anything. We would get our milk from the neighbour's farm and travel to school by bus. Sometimes, we would go to town and we might get a treat from my father's favourite Five and Dime store. The comics available did not include Marvel or DC and my parents were very restrictive in what may be purchased. These trips were infrequent and months might pass before a return trip.

My brother, being six years older and in his early teens had considerably more freedom than I and accompanied my dad on many other excursions. He and my dad would travel to a barber shop which also had "illegal" comicbooks. Illegal in the sense that the covers or partial covers had been returned to the publisher for refund, but the remaining book was not destroyed. They would return with copious amounts of comics. My brother would always have new Sad Sack comics as well. 

Dad also had a favourite smoke shop/newsstand he frequented, when he and my brother would visit my grandparents on the weekends. The Newstand carried both Marvel and DC titles and my brother was attracted to the new books being published by Marvel. My brother hid these comics from the rest of us as long as he could.

There is a fairly good chance I first saw John Buscema's work when I broke into my brothers stash and found this...
The May 1968 cover date means I was not able to pursue nor support my own comicbook interests and would remain at the mercy of the chaotic exposure and purchasing until we moved from the country into town.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2019 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Also, was "Nefarious" Neal Adams the final creator at Marvel to be gifted with a nickname?

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2019 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Some of those nicknames were not very flattering.

Once in a while, as my brother got more involved with his friends, I would accompany Dad to his parents place, stopping at the newsstand. Nick Cardy's cover art would always draw my attention and Aquaman was a Dad approved title. The guy drawing the interiors was also a solid story teller and  Aquaman #40 from 1968 was probably my earliest introduction to Jim Aparo. 

Edited by Steve Coates on 23 September 2019 at 6:55pm

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2019 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Forgot the image.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 September 2019 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Also, was "Nefarious" Neal Adams the final creator at Marvel to be gifted with a nickname?

•••

When was it applied? I joined Marvel some years after Neal, and ended up with TWO nicknames. Chris hung “Jarring” on me, which Roger Stern changed to “Jocular”.

(Roger also wasted some energy trying to convince Chris that “Cheerful” did not actually work as onomatopoeia, and that he should use “Charismatic” instead.)

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2019 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

My brother being six years older than me, exposed me to Jim Steranko on his run in Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD, but I was too young to appreciate it. But I do recall when Jim Steranko  really caught my attention, Captain America #111 from 1969.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |